Roon UI is not good enough for $150 per year

I stream from Tidal and Qobuz all day (literally), every day. Never a skip, pause, jump. Your network is not adaquate for Roon. I have downloaded over 600 albums from Qobuz to my laptop for listening away from home. You don’t need Roon for that.

8 Likes

I’m not a tinkerer in this manner…but there’s an entire thread and picture posts by those who have tinkered with the code and UI.

If you want to know what it’s written in use search.

Qobuz not available in Australia… I have 1Gbps LAN, 40Mbps D/l, 20Mbps u/l, 7ms ping… My network is fast enough.

But a single pause of 1 second (sometimes it’s upto 10 seconds) in a album ruin’s the experience

Ok, nice… I’ll have a look… Thanks.

I have AT&T U-Verse and on a good day it’s 50 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. I get no pause at all. There is more to it than just speed. I stream mostly MQA from Tidal and 24/96 or 24/192 from Qobuz. Never a blip.

3 Likes

I’ve just quickly scoured the forum & I can’t find the thread. It’s not all that old & keeps bobbing up from time to time when somebody has done some tinkering and posted their new UI or codes!

You’re lucky, well maybe you live near the Tidal servers there in the USA… I’m in Australia… believe me, download or better buffering is needed.

Seems there are plenty of Aussie users on this forum (including myself), including mods…Our download speeds are some of the worst in the world - ranked approx 50 (give or take) & usually below countries such as Kenya & Rumania; both hardly countries brimming in wealth.

I don’t use Tidal, but think many of the others do and are happy. As for Qobuz, seems some use it also and get around the non availability issue with a VPN. However, I think it’s fair to say that: yup Qoboz is not officially available in Aus. And I’m sure that Roon would not support the breaking of licensing agreements to integrate streaming services.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that the Tidal piece isn’t working in your setup. It would be frustrating for sure and can understand paying for something that isn’t “working” would add to that frustration.

There are a lot of users with myriad of setups in which the ROON + streaming environment does work, so its a matter of figuring out the bottleneck.

It could be a simple fix or a more in depth troubleshooting task, hard to say. Obviously one’s home network is an important piece as is the ISP. There are many potential variables in place that can cause issues from one user to the next, its next to impossible to have a boiler plate solution that fits all.

I lived in Adelaide, now in Canberra, always with TPG Internet on 50Mbps, I very occasionally get TIDAL buffering issues but it isn’t often at all. Been a TIDAL subscriber for 3 years now.

As for $170 AUD (my last payment to Roon was AUD176), I really feel your pain there, it’s a major stumbling block for any of my friends who are seriously into their music. I am saving for a lifetime, hopefully I can get one before they disappear.

As for the UI, well it seems users either like it and accept it faults or they don’t and complain loudly. If enough users are unhappy and complain then hopefully Roon will listen.

I get sporadic Tidal and Qobuz stutters in Melbourne on a 50Mbps NBN plan. They usually occur around 5pm (which makes me suspect congestion on the local NBN, I’m in a big apartment building). I also use HQPlayer so would need to compare with the Roon Ready app to rule out buffering in HQPlayer.

One thing I have noticed is that running a broadband speed test seems to cure the problem. I’m not sure whether this is because the ISP ups it’s game when it detects such a test, or whether a simple pause in audio playback assists. At the moment I am more suspicious of the ISP (Exetel) than Roon or HQPlayer and thinking seriously about reverting to iiNet.

The broadband test usually reports over 40Mbps and 7ms latency, which should be enough to avoid stutters.

As for the UI, I also think the Radio tiles are too big and don’t look good in Dark Mode.

1 Like

It’s too expensive, I’m embarrassed to tell friends what it costs, and then as a recurring subscription? A hard sell for all but the dedicated audiophile. Everyone wants to sell you a subscription these days :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Roon costs 10$ per month, there’s nothing to be “embarrassed” with. I find that there are plenty of subscriptions (World of Warcraft, Microsoft 365, Tidal and other music services, Netflix and other video services, etc) that cost even more than that.

3 Likes

Wrong! You need to pay yearly in advance! It’s $120 USD upfront, EPIC FAIL!

Roon should try charging per month not annually… I’ve often thought about giving Roon another try for a month or so and then cancelling if I can’t stand it any longer, then I remember, oh it’s $120 upfront.

Greed! Sorry Roon…

1 Like

It’s worse than almost every other subscription, because you pay yearly, there’s no monthly subscription!

Ofc maybe Roon recently changed the subscription model to allow monthly subscriptions and ability to cancel anytime? But I doubt it…

Well, Microsoft 365 like others is an annual subscription too, so I understand that you’re upset because you can’t have a monthly subscription with Roon ?

1 Like

It sounds odd to hold out the lifetime licence for USD $700 as an alternative to the annual subscription of USD $120, but anyone who thinks they are likely to use Roon for 6 years or more really should consider it. Roon have already increased the lifetime fee without notice and have made it clear that the lifetime option may be removed without notice at any time.

1 Like

@andybob I am surprised that Roon has a lifetime licence, as this is very uncommon practice in the software industry. The common practice is either yearly subscription or an edition price.

I really don’t think we can compare Roon to Microsoft 365.

Roon is a niche product & in terms of the competition is by far the most expensive (at least that I’m aware). Microsoft Office is an essential tool for just about anybody in business, education and most other industries. Further, for those in business, I would imagine that yearly subscription is tax deductible something that Roon is not for the vast majoirty of its users.

However, if you were to ask me is the Roon annual subscription a reasonable price, I would perhaps consider it acceptable for those in the US or elsewhere with a stronger exchange rate. The issue of differential pricing I believe is real and something many other software makers adopt accordingly.

That, however, has nothing to do with Roon’s UI or the thread here itself. I would not want a moderator to split or remove comments accordingly.

@andybob

Please remain on topic as per title of this thread. That is Roon’s UI - thank you! :wink: