Roon unable to find server on usb SSD drive (on Synology NAS). Server is now directly on PC

Roon Core Machine

• Windows 10 PC. Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz. 16GB RAM
  • Synology NAS (DS218+) with server on usb SSD drive (JMS551 - Sharkoon SATA QuickPort Duo - JMicron Technology Corp.)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Unifi Network. Ethernet connection. No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Two systems.

• SotM music server with Marantz AV preamp and amp connected to Sonus Faber Grand Pianos.
  • Raspberry Pi music streamer, Denafrips Aeres II Dac, McIntosh 252 integrated amp, KEF LS 50 Meta. All streamer inputs via ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

7000 tracks from FLAC library and Tidal

Description of Issue

During a Synology NAS software update, I lost access to my Roon Server which is located on a USB SSD drive attached to my NAS. In an attempt to retrieve it, somehow my Roon Server is now located directly on my PC hard drive. No idea how this occurred.

I am attempting now to Migrate the Server back to its original location on the SSD drive (there is a copy of the server files already on this drive).
• All Firewalls are suspended.
• Roon Server is backed up to my NAS drive
• Under Roon Setup - Connections from remotes are allowed

I then select “find roon core”

• This results in a lengthy “searching for Roon OS Server” message with no results
  • I then go to the “General” tab
  • Roon Server shows that it is located on PC (not my SSD)
  • Option to disconnect results in a Screen saying choose your Roon Server but only shows
    PC location.
  • Bottom of screen shows “Configure Roon OS Devices on your network”
  • Search begins anew with no results

Logged out of Roon and on the login page I selected “restore from backup”

• Under choose folder that contains backup – Selected the backup location on my NAS drive
  • From there, it took me to my list of backups and I selected the most recent.
  • After the restore was successfully completed, I selected relaunch.
  • It did not give me the option to restore to my SSD but only to my PC hard drive.

I guess the issue is why Roon defaults to the PC server location and cannot find my original SSD server. Should I attempt to delete the PC Folder containing the server before trying to find my SSD server? I can’t find anywhere to put the address of the SSD server. Could this be an issue with mapping of the SSD drive?

This all occurred following a NAS drive software update.
I appreciate any help with this issue.

External USB drives connected to Synology disk stations - especially if there are multiple - do not always come up with the same drive designation after a reboot. You are better off putting together your own eSATA external drive as described in this post.

Thanks for your support. I read through the material and it provided a wealth of information. However, as I have been using my SSD drive (connected to my Synology NAS) very effectively before, I felt that this was the way I wanted to continue.

Having a recent backup of my core available, I decided to perform a complete reinstall of Roon. This proved to be successful and I now have my server back on my SSD drive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.