Roon Core Machine

HP notebook 250 G7 running Windows 10, intoel cor i7, 8MB RAM,

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Devolo powerline router with TP Link as main router

Connected Audio Devices

USB SSD drive

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve been using Roon for a few months now and basically fine. but when I’ve installed the latest update Roon fails to load the database with the message ‘there was an issue loading your database’. After following the instructions here - https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/error-message-there-was-an-issue-loading-your-database. the same thing keep happening and I get the same error message if I try to restore the backup. I’ve now given up on the backup and am having to start from scratch but Roon loads OK with a fresh new database then as soon as I close tand then start again I get the database error again. Please tell me how to fix.

Dom

Hey @domocon,

We’re so sorry that updating Roon resulted in this… :pleading_face:

It looks like you’ve been thoroughly investigating this and you’ve found the resources that should have helped. We have posted this to explain in more detail why this happened:

Starting fresh should allow you to use Roon :nerd_face: . Would you please try to:

• uninstall Roon
  • restart your HP
  • download Roon
  • install it fresh and launch it

Does it work?

Hi Rebeka,

thanks for the quick response. I have tried this and no difference. I still get the error.

grateful for advice on what next.

thanks.

Dom.

1 Like

Hey @domocon,

If you remove the old database folder, uninstall Roon and install it fresh. Does it work?

Hi Rebekah,

No, it doesn’t. same problem. thx

Hey @domocon,

When you say “same problem”, even starting fresh you still see “There was an error loading your database”?

The application opens fine the first time. then I leave it settle to build the first database. then I can use it as normal. But once I’ve closed it and try to open it again I get the database error message.

I don’t know if its related but it doesn’t pick all the sound card drivers either. no ASIO ones for examnple, Just WASAPI (and three if the same for the NI Kontrol soundcard).

Hey @domocon,

Before we collect logs, I wonder if you’d be up for trying one more thing: manually reinstalling the graphics and sound card drivers.

• quit Roon (if open)
  • restart your Roon Core
  • uninstall the graphics drivers and the sound card drivers
  • navigate to the manufacturer’s website and download the graphics and sound card drivers directly from there
  • install the graphics and the sound card drivers
  • ​launch Roon

Hi Rebekah,

I will try this but I’m going to be away for the next 3 weeks so I will need to get back to it around 10 Jan.

I really hope we can get it working again!

happy christmas.

thanks.

Dom.

Hey @domocon,

Thanks for finding a moment to share this update. We’ll be around when you return and thanks for being willing to work with us. I’m confident we’ll find a resolution.

In the meantime, travel safe and enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :christmas_tree:

Hi Rebeka,

plamns changed so I am back briefly. I have managed to uninstal and install the audio driver but I’m afraid I can’t work out the graphics driver. When I try to install direct I’m told that the driver I need is bespoke to the manufacturer (HP) and HP wiil only let me update it through their ‘update centre’ app on the computer whic doesn’t let me uninstall first but also won’t let me instal it because it says it is up to date. I did try ther ‘repair’ option but doesn’t seem to have made a difference.

Launching Roon I get the same database error.

Grateful for advice.

thanks,

Dom.

Hi Rebeka,

any news on this. I’m back and keen to get this sorted.

thanks.

Dom.

Hi Rebeka,

I’m back. Happy New Year!

would be great if we could get this sorted soon.

See my replies below.

thanks.

Dom.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon fails to load the database

Hey @domocon,

Sorry for missing your posts: welcome back and Happy New Year indeed.

Could you please try this Intel tool instead, for the update?

Hi Beka,

thanks for looking at this. It has almost worked except now there’s a probnlem that it doesn’;t recognise certain .wav files. The previous version played them fine (exactly the same files) but this version won’t import them into the database because it says the file format isn’t valid.

Is this a known / or related problem?

thanks.

Dom

Hey @domocon,

Thanks for the quick reply :pray: . I’m glad we’re one step forward :star:

I don’t think we’ve seen these issue be related before, but, regardless of that, do you see “file format isn’t valid” in Skipped Files? Do the names of these .wav files have any special characters in them? If so, could you please, as a test, for a track remove those special characters and see if the file plays in Roon?

Hi Beka,

yes, I should have said I’m very pleased it;s back up and running! thank you.

Yes the files are coming up in the skipped files. As an example one file name is ‘Laurent Garnier - Contact Tokyo Nov 19_Pt01.wav’. I removed all the spaces to make it ‘LaurentGarnier-Contact TokyoNov19_Pt01wav’ but no change (I also closed and reopened Roon to be sure it had re-scanned).

thanks.

Dom.

Hey @domocon,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Out of the file we’re discussing, could you please make this change?

LaurentGarnier-Contact TokyoNov19_Pt01wav

Make it be

LaurentGarnierContact TokyoNov19Pt01.wav

(The dash and underscore was removed, but the period was introduced again as it signals the extension).

Does that help?