Roon uses up to 217 % CPU - Please help [Solved, Library size, Core and WiFi]

Another question…when you click on the Search icon and the text input box comes up and you fill in say 3-4 characters…does Roon IMMEDIATELY populate the options as it does it the screenshot below??

As you can see, I’ve only typed in “Colt”…but Roon is now offering me two Artists with Colt in the name…as well as Album Names…[and Track names if there were there]…as well as a few other categories

So, my question is…does your Roon app immediately produce these options??

Hi @Ronnie, no worries, I really appreciate your help so I gladly answer all your questions.

Indeed I use the same Mac Mini i7 for browsing, selecting etcetera. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard and an Apple Magic Trackpad (bluetooth, both first generation).

The screen connected to the i7 is a Sony flatscreen TV, 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080i). I think it’s around 10 years old by now. This is a compromise: our iPad and iPhones are too old to support Roon, so I’m saving up for a new one, but that could take a while, as I’ve already invested quite a bit in my recent transition from cd’s only to digitised/computer only.

To answer your last question: when I use the Search icon and type in whatever (part of a) name, Roon needs at least 30 seconds to a minute to produce some suggestions. That’s what I meant by sufficient time to prepare a meal (granted, a very quick and basic one :wink:). I really wish Roon did this immediately, because this way is quicker than the Album view / Focus option from the menu. Please let me know if you need me to provide any more details!

My “default” view when using Roon is the Album browser screen…and even if I close Roon, then Roon will reopen to that screen upon restart

Do you know that

1. When in the Album Browser, typing the first few characters of the Artist Name [assuming sorted by Artist] will bring you to that Artist’s Albums??..e.g. "Mile’ will bring you very near or at Miles Davis’ albums…‘Herb’ to Herbert von Karajan…‘Bru’ to Bruce Springsteen etc., etc

2. You can do the same as above by Sorting by Album Title [top right hand corner] and typing the first few characters of the Album title

@mike @Eric

Hi Guys
Could you take a look at the thread above and offer any advice

As you can see, Koen’s Search appears to have an issue offering quick suggestions when he clicks on the Search icon…taking about 30 seconds to offer suggestions, and the Search results screen taking even longer

My next possible suggestion to Koen is that he rebuilds his Roon Database to see if that gets rid of the Search lethargy…but he has done some Grooming on about 250 Albums to date…and I am wondering if there is a way to “re-build” the Database Indices, without nuking the Roon database and starting from scratch again

Any suggestions welcome??

Hi Koen
You ask above about buying new power cables or power strip for the WD Drive…but I don’t believe these will help your issue in any way

However, there is something that may help…you say that your Mac Mini has 10Gb RAM…and that Mac has two SODIM slots…meaning that you likely have a 2Gb and 8Gb modules

It’s probably my history in the IT world, where for the longest time, PC manufacturers recommended matched pairs of Memory modules…so I might suggest that a second 8Gb Ram module might be a worthwhile investment

You have a relatively large library, so having 16Gb isn’t going to go astray in the long term…and there is a remote possibility that memory mismatching might be contributing to your problem…these 8Gb are relatively cheap in the overall scheme of things and is something to consider once we work out the issue that is causing the slow search response at the moment

@Ronnie, at first I was happy with your suggestion to make the Album browser screen the default screen. I felt silly I didn’t know this was possible, thought the Overview screen (“Hello Koen”) was the only default but guess I always go to it without thinking.

But then… after I tried out your suggestions there, I wanted to check if it was really remembered as a default. So I closed and restarted Roon. And gone was the new speed, back was the unresponsiveness. Loading an album, start playing it, restart playing it, pressing next: back were the delays in response… I waited until the spinning wheel was finished, perhaps Roon had to recover from my new default screen decision. But the unresponsiveness remained. I repeated this (closing and restarting Roon, giving it time to finish the spinning wheel), but the problem remains.

Seems like there still is another, bigger problem in my version of Roon or, as you suggest, my database. Really hope I won’t have to lose all my grooming, because this goes for MUCH more than 250 albums (that number referred to the size of many classical albums…).

This brings up the following question (more for @mike or @Eric): if I have to redo all my grooming once, who can guarantee I won’t have to do this ten times or more in the future? That’s not making my music more accessible compared to my cd’s, that’s just providing me with a lot of work, severely undermining my listening experience. Really hope you guys can help me out!

@Ronnie, once again many thanks for all your help!

Thanks Ronnie, that sounds like a sensible idea and investment. I indeed have a 2Gb and a 8GB module, so definitely will consider a second 8GB module.

Can I suggest that you Restart the Mac…and then enter Roon…allow the Spinning wheel to finish…and then see what the Responsiveness is like after that?

Also, can you go to Settings —> Library —> Clean Up Library —> and allow it to go to the “Library Maintenance” screen that follows

Do NOT click on the “Clean Up Library” option…want to get more input from the Roon guys first

Can you then take a screenshot of that screen and post it here??..[Cmd+Shift+4 will allow you to draw a rectangle around that part of the screen and you will hear a Camera like click as it takes the screenshot]

@Ronnie, I’m afraid I have already cleaned up my library this afternoon, after the tests with USB ports, cables and SSD drive. Hope this is not a problem for the Roon guys.

Also, I’m blushing here, because the responsiveness seems to be back after restarting the Mac… sorry about that… :flushed:

@Ronnie ---- Thank you for all the feedback, tips, and insight here :microscope: :sunglasses:

@koen ---- My apologies for the slow response here. I wanted to touch base with you as I have scheduled a meeting with my team for tomorrow morning to evaluate this behavior you have been experiencing to identify any variables that may be causing this to occur and thus, hopefully offer a resolve. I will be sure to follow back up with you immediately, once I have some feedback. I greatly appreciate your patience while I look into this for you.

Many thanks!
-Eric

@Eric, thanks for your reply and looking forward to your feedback!

Hi Koen
Glad that Roon seems to be behaving again…while waiting for feddback from the Roon guys…if you do experience a lack of responsiveness here again…can you open the Activity Monitor on your Mac

Click on CPU…and Reverse Order it by Processes using the most CPU…then take a screenshot and post it here

Just want to see if there’s a non-Roon process running in the background that might be causing an issue

@Eric, a suggestion to bring to the meeting: when changing my trial to a Lifetime Membership, at my request, my Roon account was also transferred to a different e-mail account. Perhaps this has absolutely nothing to do with the issues I’m experiencing, but perhaps it explains everything (database gone corrupt, no idea, but for what it’s worth… :slight_smile:).

Hey @Ronnie, thanks and will do! Luckily, at this moment no strange things happening in both Roon and the Activity Monitor (already firmly tied it to my dock over the past few days! :wink:).

Hi @koen —— Thank you for your patience. I had a chance to touch base with my team and one of our developers today to discuss these observations you have made while using the application.

We have thousands of users with similar setups functioning normally, so the observations you have made do seem to be unique and my team agrees that this may have to do with sheer size of your collection or perhaps the the device it is being stored on.

I understand from your last post that things seem to have stabilized, which I am pleased to hear. My developers have asked to keep us updated and should these issues crop back up, we would definitely like to grab some logs and take a closer look.

I can confirm that the sluggishness while performing searches in Roon is a known issue and has been addressed by our developers. We’ve done some performance work over the last month, and larger collections should benefit quite a bit from that work. Search performance and audio analysis have received a good deal of attention, so I expect the issues you’re describing to improve once that 1.3 is deployed.

-Eric

Hi @Eric, thanks for your effort and feedback. Also, the offer to take a look at some logs if the problems return is appreciated.

For now, things indeed seem to have stabilized. Roon runs smoothly, no hanging or skipping. Average CPU is between 10 and 25 %. The tip from @Ronnie to use the Album view as a default screen and search via Focus from there (instead of using the magnifying glass) helps a lot. All in all quite a different experience using Roon now and a happy user again :grinning:

The magnifying glass still requires 110 % CPU and more, so the performance work is good news. Looking forward to 1.3 even more now! :blush:

The only thing that still puzzles me a bit is your remark about my collection and/or the device. Is my 14k album collection (too) big for Roon? I thought I read on the forum that people with 50k collections have no performance problems at all. Are WD My Book 8TB HDD’s known to render problems? Would I gain speed by replacing its default power cable by e.g. an iFi iPower? Any more details on the analysis of your team and/or suggestions to improve upon are much appreciated!

Also, a final question: would things improve if I take the Mac Mini i7 upstairs, together with the WD HDD, install RoonServer on it, and take the older Mac Mini downstairs to run RoonBridge on it, connecting both Macs with an ethernet cable? And does this mean I have no GUI downstairs (RoonBridge) and upstairs (RoonServer), requiring the purchase of a device (iPad/iPhone) to use as a remote? Or is there a way to still have some GUI to control and edit my library with just RoonServer and RoonBridge?

Hi @koen ----- Thank you for the follow up :sunglasses: In regard to your questions…

“The only thing that still puzzles me a bit is your remark about my collection and/or the device. Is my 14k album collection (too) big for Roon? I thought I read on the forum that people with 50k collections have no performance problems at all.”

Please allow me to offer some further insight here, and apologies for any confusion my comment about your collection size may have caused. As mentioned, with 1.3 quite a bit of work has been put into further enhancing the overall user experience, and one area that should see these benefits is our handling of larger collections.

As Brian has very eloquently pointed out in that thread:

“That said, there are definitely some areas where Roon could be optimized, and some specific performance oriented projects are planned. We are just wrapping up a round of optimization on RAAT–our next scheduled bit of performance work is focused on improving library related performance, with a focus on mac and linux, which should help here.”

"Would I gain speed by replacing its default power cable by e.g. an iFi iPower? "

Replacing the power cable for your storage device will not increase it’s speed or capability of handling media.

Would things improve if I take the Mac Mini i7 upstairs, together with the WD HDD, install RoonServer on it, and take the older Mac Mini downstairs to run RoonBridge on it, connecting both Macs with an ethernet cable? And does this mean I have no GUI downstairs (RoonBridge) and upstairs (RoonServer), requiring the purchase of a device (iPad/iPhone) to use as a remote? Or is there a way to still have some GUI to control and edit my library with just RoonServer and RoonBridge?

If you have the option of a stronger machine running your core it is never a bad idea :wink: I would honestly consider running Roon Server on that device and running Roon Remote on the older Mac.

-Eric

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed reply @Eric. I’ll digest this and will definitely take my current setup a level higher!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Eric, I’ve just switched both Mac Minis and am now running Roon Server on the i7 and Roon Bridge on the older one. For the time being, I control both machines via the GUI version of Roon (pending a new iPad/iPhone) and this works fine. I’ll order some ethernet cables to abandon wifi.

Great that Roon 1.3 will also enhance handling of larger collections, another reason to look forward to its release! :blush: Thanks for your advice and I’ll leave you to focus on 1.3! :wink:

1 Like