Roon v Audirvana

Audirvana is now using this as an advertisement clearly pointed at Roon. Not surprising, of course.

2 Likes

“HighResAudio” is a streaming service similar to Tidal or Qobuz, but offers a wider variety of high sampling rate albums—including DSD. It is a native service in Audirvana, but not in Roon. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

If Audirvana had the kind of internet-enhanced metadata that Roon had, this would mean something. But they don’t, and it doesn’t.

It absolutely does. Audirvana is an excellent app, sounds great, and doesn’t require 24/7 internet. It is a good alternative to Roon if you are concerned about internet outage. Not everyone needs or wants 24/7 detailed metadata to listen to their music files.

5 Likes

Absolutely does what? I can still listen to 100% of my music without an Internet connection via Synology Audio Station. But I’m only down maybe 10 minutes per year. For all those other times, Audirvana can’t compete with Roon for a metadata-enriched experience. At all.

Audirvana is a poor imitation, it’s GUI confuses me , the ability to filter, navigate, segregate classical music etc just leave me frustrated

My backup is JRiver, no matter what the naysayers say, I can define how I want music displayed for navigation. In the event I don’t want metadata display , it’s still a better option , to me , than Audirvana

That said Roon is my audio solution, long May it continue

It is far from an excellent app. I recently trialed it again, just horrible. Their mobile app has got a little better, but the fact it’s not headless nor can run on Linux or a Nas it’s a non starter. Going back to a laptop to play music in my house isn’t an option when so many better free apps out there.

Also the mobile app can’t play to the host device , it’s literally a control app.

I use an iPad to feed a BT speaker in the kitchen AS can’t do that 

Unfortunately, not true for classical listeners

Main reason why I don’t use Aud.

2 Likes

It depends on your use case. I find Audirvana Studio to be an excellent app. If I had my own music files and was concerned with internet outage, I would try Audirvana Origin. However, I don’t believe Audirvana is in a class with Roon.

Audirvāna used to be my favorite app. However now that I’ve learned how to use Roon that is no longer the case.

Audirvāna also lacking several things that Roon has isn’t helping either.

Roon ARC. Another remote app that is more than just a glorified remote control, native support for AirPlay and Chromecast. The latter never worked correctly here. Even though I was a paying beta tester for AS 2.0.

Installed a new Roon Core yesterday on my Lenovo laptop running on Zorin Linux Pro which is running much better so far than my 2017 MacBook Air. Audirvāna can’t run on Linux.

A3.5 has a Stop button. To unlock your sound device with AS you have to click on a tiny padlock icon away from the other player controls. And more weird design choices.

So yeah I believe opting for Roon lifetime last year turned out to be an excellent choice.

4 Likes

I found that to be a cool thing actually. I have a visual indicator of the app holding on to the device. It would probably be better if it automatically unlocked the device a few seconds after stopping, but some people could find it more useful to have full control of it.
It may be worth mentioning here that Roon doesn’t always shutdown ASIO properly upon exit. Audirvana always does.

1 Like

The little padlock is TINY very hard for old eyes to aim at :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

It doesn’t excuse the remote app as only a remote control , that is really quite poor . Playing to the app device means it can be used as an end point JRemote did this 10 years ago

Its really a computer users hi fi app not a sit in the chair user :rofl:

1 Like

JRemote is also a very well designed app. I’m using JRiver 30 next to Roon. Merely to play my collection of movies, music videos and series which I have stored on a huge external hard drive. But it handles my local music very well too. Useful for when the Internet goes out. Which is like once per year or so.

Next to JRiver I also have Swinsian on my Mac. In my opinion it is what iTunes should have been. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The user interface of Audirvana does not even come close to Roon, but in terms of sound quality I like Audirvana more than Roon. Music sounds more present, dynamic and open. Even with matched volume levels and playing through exactly the same hardware chain: Mac Mini > AudioQuest Vodka USB > Classé CP-800mkII > Elac ARF-51.

2 Likes

Me too but more recently I have used Plex, I bought a new TV , Black Friday, it’s Samsung so their OS, Plex plays very nicely with it and eliminates the need for a video streamer.

My box count is getting lower , TV plus Naim Uniti HE and a NUC, my trusty old PC is simply that most of the time

1 Like

I attempted to use Audirvana. When the interface hung for about 10 minutes while attempting to import my music library I gave up. It didn’t play nicely with an SMB share so it was a non starter for me. Roon Lifetime before the increase was worth the investment for me. Where I live the power is more likely to be down than the internet. I could always use LMS if I needed something that would work offline.

iPhone and Apple Music is good for power outage.

4 Likes

Between, Qobuz, (argentina) Tidal, and Youtube Music I can always do that too. Plus I have Plex pointed at my local files as well.

I have both, Roon and Audirvana, and i am afraid these two are different products. I don’t think there is comparison between these two. Audirvana is a music player and roon is also a music player.

3 Likes