Roon vs Jriver SQ - CDT as reference

BUT who uses the Windows interface to control it. I use it extensively to edit tags and generally groom stuff. Other than picking off the odd track to listen while I’m doing that I never use it to play music.

I use JRemote which on my 12.9 iPad Pro looks quite good . I also use mConnect a bit and the native Cambridge Audio StreamMagic app.

Jriver gives me a lot more flexibility in how I navigate my library than Roon does , especially for big box sets.

I agree a bit of TLC wouldn’t go amiss but it is still a very solid and VERY stable piece of software.

I have been using it actively for 10 years :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@Satyam_Bachani
how have you acquired the copy of the cd you have on roon? Did you rip directly from the same cd as what you are putting in your CDT?
if not then that could be the difference your hearing but if you have copied from the same cd perhaps the drive you copied it with isn’t doing a 100% perfect job.

but if the copy is exact then perhaps there is another variable that we are missing or roon just isn’t as bit perfect as they say it is.

1 Like

Nice gear (I love PureAudioProject OB loudspeakers), but until you find a way to match levels across all three sources to within 0.1 dB, these comparisons are meaningless. When I’m comparing DACs, I match levels to within 0.01 dB. I use REW for verification and can show you how if you are genuinely interested.

One thing I’ve not done in a long time is measure output from JRiver vs Roon Bridge on the same transport. If I find time to run through this exercise, I’ll share my results; however, they will be specific to my gear. Not generally applicable.

Meaningfully comparing similar sources takes effort. A smartphone SPL meter app is not going to cut it for level matching. Any conclusions formed without rigor are purely self-deception. If you’re satisfied with that, then fine, but that also means there’s nothing more to discuss.

1 Like

David, I’d be genuinely interested in your methodology, please.

Yes the same cd is ripped via dbpoweramp and played back as wav (ripped as source) via Roon and Jriver when compared to the CDT.

I did try to match it as closly as I could though I wonder why there is any perceived difference between raat and dlna.

I have another friend who has the same dac and endpoint, he too confirmed a differene, he had a sonore ultrarendu on hand and confirmed the difference in sq and level.

Just to add another data point - I can’t tell the difference between a CD ripped using Exact Audio Copy and played back via Roon and the same CD played in my Audiolab 6000CDT CD transport.

My Roon setup is: ROCK on Intel NUC > Primare NP5 > Chord Qutest

2 Likes

I’m incredibly skeptical of any assessment of sound quality differences (by humans) where levels were not precisely matched. Except for gross differences, I don’t think this is possible.

2 Likes

I used to spend more time fiddling with JRiver than listening to music. And then there was the constant version downloads.

3 Likes

Yep, that was my experience too. I was spending a lot of time trying to clean up a large library with JRiver. Adding room correction seemed complex and I couldn’t run Qobuz and Tidal through JRiver to use those settings too. Way easier to do all of this stuff in Roon and a very pleasant user experience. As for SQ differences, there’s been plenty of bit-for-bit comparisons that have been done that show both put out the same bits and that matches my listening experiences.

1 Like

hi,

I’m very interested about your findings. May I know which CDT are you using with DV2? Thank you.

John

I use a sonic frontiers SFT-1 with the ST-Optical output to the DAC. With the computer setup I use the NS1 with ST-Optical too.

I have tried various versions of J-River and setteled on JRMC 26 for its SQ. Unfortunately roon has no way to go back and forth on versions. I still have an acive sub of roon but I’ve not been able to get it to play like my CDT or Jriver.

@Satyam_Bachani , thank you for your reply.

It’s surprising that st optical of SFT-1 can communicate with DV2. I though the st optical of DV2 can only receive signal from NS1 and TX2. So SFT-1 play CD and DV2 receive the 44.1khz signal without any issue. What ST Optical cable are you using? The original orange one?

Thank you
John

Yes John, it works just fine and yes I use the original orange cable that comes with EMM.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m also considering getting a CDT. Your experience helps a lot.

John

Thats a great idea. Until I did not use the CD-T I was under the impression Roon or anything else was just perfect.

Until one doesnt have a reference its shooting in the dark. Everyones milage will vary but I’ve learnt computer audio isnt as simple as people make it out to be, nor it is necessary to spend silly monies to get the desired results. Just need to have a proper reference point and some hands on ability with different softwares and OS’s.

For CA I’ve seen maximum differences with software vs hardware.

I hope you find a good CDT for yourself!