Roon will not start after the latest update and now Roon can not find WGL functions

Hi @ahmed_iqbal,

Can you confirm what GPU your Windows machine uses?

Intel HD Graphics P4600/4700

Hi @ahmed_iqbal,

Whilst waiting for Roon’s support to get back to you … you might want to check that the latest Intel graphics drivers are installed.

I use this site https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Hope it helps

1 Like

Hi @ahmed_iqbal,

I agree with @Carl — Definitely try downloading the latest drivers for your GPU and let us know if that helps!

Just went through the installation of the new intel drivers and unfortunately no luck
03/12 19:58:27 Error: Could not find WGL function: wglGetExtensionsStringARB
03/12 19:58:27 Error: Could not find WGL function: wglChoosePixelFormatARB
03/12 19:58:27 Error: Could not find WGL function: wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
03/12 19:58:27 Error: Could not find WGL function: wglCreateContextAttribsARB

I have pasted the error lines for you. Is there a version without GUI that I can run, if there is no fix available for this?

A post was split to a new topic: Roon could not find WGL functions required to initialize OpenGL

Hi @ahmed_iqbal,

Can you confirm whether or not your GPU supports Open GL 3.0 which is required for Roon?

You can use RoonServer instead of Roon. RoonServer does not use the UI on the Core machine. If you switch to RoonServer you’ll want to make sure you follow our Migration Guide.

Are you trying to use Roon over Remote Desktop?

1 Like

I am using remote dekstop to connect to the machine that is running Roon Server. @dylan - I had been running Roon on the same Win 10 machine for 2 + years. It stopped working only after the latest windows update. I am guessing it supports Open GL but if you provide me with the instructions to check it, I can.

AFAIK this is a Windows Remote Desktop limitation. See also:

FWIW, I use Jump Desktop for my remote desktop app, without any problems.

The macOS and WIN10 apps are free to home users.

That’s a very significant factor and should have been mentioned in first post, as some remote desktop applications have trouble supporting OpenGL.

May I ask why you are running Roon this way and not just installing the Roon Remote application on that remote device and what it that remote device?

I did not know that remote desktop applications have issues with Roon till now. The Roon machine is tucked into a media closet and I access that from my laptop which is running Win 10. I have installed Roon Server only on the Core machine now. There was a reason for why I needed Roon with UI on that Core machine but long story short, my challenge is that some thing that works, all of a sudden,stops working after a Windows update.

Hi,
Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now, you where using a Remote desktop just to start Roon on that machine. Then once up and running you used your laptop running Roon Remote to control it.
It does sound like running Roon server is the best option for your now as you can get it auto startup.

The workaround for this issue (which affects all users of Windows 10 version 1903 who use Remote Desktop) is to disable WDDM in the group policy. The workaround is described here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1903-may-update-black-screen-with/23c8a740-0c79-4042-851e-9d98d0efb539

tl;dr Gpedit.msc: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Remote Desktop Services->Remote Desktop Session Host->Remote Session Environment -> Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections -> DISABLE

Alternatively, it would be good if Roon could maybe not require OpenGL, so it could be used over remote desktop?

Thanks,
Jim

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: OpenGL and Windows VM

Roon won’t start anymore when I double click the icon in a remote desktop session. The process starts (I see it in the list in task manager) but never initializes the GUI. I can seemingly start it as many times as I want, another instance of roon.exe shows up in the task list. If I physically go to the machine and turn on the monitor and double click roon from the USB keyboard and mouse physically attached to it, then it’ll start.

However now Roon quits unexpectedly if it’s running and I open a RDP session. And as above, it won’t restart in RDP.

This is pretty frustrating, I don’t like having to physically be next to the machine to start Roon.

Try using TeamViewer or Splashtop instead.

You realize that’s a pretty crappy workaround right? Microsoft Remote Desktop is an excellent piece of software. I use this Windows box for other stuff besides Roon (all via RDP), because I can have an arbitrary and changeable desktop resolution.

The TV that the PC is physically attached to is old and has only 720P resolution. When I use VNC or something like what you suggest, the remote session was the same resolution as the TV, which is too small to do anything useful. Also Roon won’t even show its menus even when run in full screen mode on 720p display.

Even if I had a higher resolution TV, I’d still want to set the RDP desktop size to whatever’s convenient for the monitor I’m using.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.