Roon with Cambridge CXN Streamer

Over the network fixes are not cheap and haven’t been proven with CA kit. The UPnP bridge on a Sonic Orbiter cube springs to mind. Cheap as chips is a Raspberry Pi into the streamers USB port. If you do that I think you lose your display. Also CA don’t see Linux as a thing, so it may not work via USB.

I think i will have too go back to jriver

That is sad. As stated there are ways around it that might work. But to be honest if you have hardware you like then you have to make listening to music the priority. Cambridge Audio could do more and I speak as a fan, I had the 840 amplifier. But that will take a bit of time.

1 Like

Ive been in touch with Cambridge today.They have no intension of updating firmware to make CXN or 851N Roon compatable any time soon.

If there was something that would definitely give me the option to play hi res through my 851 ,reasonably priced i may buy.

Depending on your definition of the word “cheap”, look into the Allo DigiOne / DigiOne Signature + Ropiee. Since it uses SPIDF it’ll get around Cambridge’s idiocy issues with Linux.

Hi all,
just to be clear, the CA 851N runs normally from Roon by usb audio input, right? the limitation will be only by network connection (ethernet or wifi), where should be by airplay.

Ive never tried direct to USB,will try at weekend.
Are you saying i can hear Hi res through the USB.

1 Like

I recommend the Allo Digi One Player Signature too. Great Streamer for fair money.

O think so. The 851N plays DSD by USB input.

Some caution is required if your source is Linux as Cambridge have not made their drivers automatically compliant. They only guarantee Windows and OSX.

1 Like

:astonished: :astonished:
Thank you for warning @Henry_McLeod !!

Check out this thread

Much the same story a while back

I used. RPi for a USB connection but Class 2 for 192 hi res failed. You can use Class 1 USB but you’ll limit at 96

I finally added a Allo Digione card and connect to the CXN via coax , hi get 24/192 the best the CXN does

It will cost 200$ ish but does the job, gets around Airplay limitations

BUT the artwork display doesn’t work,you are really using the CXN as a DAC , the Digione is the streamer

Mike

Thankyou very much for all info

More information from User Manual:

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360000103577/Azur_851N_Users_Manual_English_-_Reference.pdf

Page 12

Use with Linux In USB
Audio 1.0 mode the 851N will work with most Linux distributions, allowing the playback of audio up to 24-bit/96kHz. Newer Linux distributions (e.g. Ubuntu 10.04) support USB Audio 2.0 for which the 851N should be switched to USB Audio 2.0 to accept audio up to 24-bit/192kHz. For both cases because Linux distributions vary according to their creators’ choice of software components, including drivers, it is not possible to guarantee operation and Audio drivers may need to be loaded. ‘Class drivers’ for generic support of USB Audio Class 1.0 or USB Audio Class 2.0 devices may be available from the Linux community, we do not supply these.

Page 6

8. USB Audio In
A USB B type socket is fitted to the 851N to enable the playback of audio from a personal computer running either Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac OS X operating systems, most Linux distributions are also suitable.Note: Always use a high quality USB connection cable certified as USB Hi-Speed. USB cable connections longer than 3m may result in inconsistent audio performance.

Gonna give this a try.How do i get NUC to play via the USB,continues to play via network

may seem like a basic suggest but have you tried setting it up the device?
Also, check it the USB drivers into NUC

i.e:

sorted the USB (nuc) to usb(851)
Plays files but still using airplay, no hi res

@stephen_colman
Turn off the AirPlay… and try again.
Just a doubt, have you selected USB input on 851N, right?

where do I turn off airplay ?
Yes I have selected USB input tried version 1 and 2

disable AirPlay from all your devices, shutdown AirPlay network