Roon with Mac mini help

I’m trialling an innuos zenith with Roon intergration but the dealer has suggested a Mac mini as an alternate music server.

I have a Windows 10 pc in a bedroom with bt superfast infinity router. In my lounge I have a pmc/cyrus hi Fi set up with nas plugged into an extender and hi Fi streamer into the extender too. My dac/pre has optical and coaxial digital inputs. To allow input to hi Fi I’ve bought a usb-spdif converter.

I’d like to get a bit of information about how I could use the Mac mini with Roon in terms of connections to a dac. Can you only use usb out to allow Roon to work, or another connection and would it be possible to still keep it in my bedroom but use it as a server for Roon over wi Fi, for my hi Fi in the living room, or does the Mac mini need to be near my hi Fi. I like the idea of using it as a pc in my bedroom too.

I have an iPad to use as the controller, and I assume I don’t need anything else? What’s the best drive or specced Mac mini (ie which one) to get for Roon, so it works best, and how do I get the tracks from my nas or Windows pc onto it. Do I need a ssd drive?

Would the best thing to do be to configure it with my screen on my Windows pc via hdmi and then move it to my lounge once done.

Many thanks for your help.

If you haven’t purchased the Mac Mini yet, I’d hold fire as there are a number of options available to you that may be better and/ or more cost effective.

The iPad (assuming it’s 64 bit) is great as your Roon controller. Maybe worthwhile sharing your NAS details.

Nas is just a wd my book live of some years ago.

Many thanks for your help

This may help too …