RoonBridge and RoonServer Linux Disk Image builds

Seems to me the more technical among us (not me!) could build some disk images optimized for Roon for the various Linux platforms, BeagleBone Black, Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Server, etc.

Who’s game?

Only the devs love us that much !

I understand a Raspberry Pi RoonBridge image is on the way. Haven’t heard about other devices.

A RoonServer image starts down the road of partition detection and management. The tools for this are already well handled by individual distros.

I wasn’t expecting the devs to do all the work! :slight_smile:

Oh, and I am kinda surprised a Pi RoonBridge image is on the way as the Pi has problems given the ethernet and USB being on the same bus.

I don’t follow what you are saying about re RoonServer and individual distros. Are you referring to Ubuntu distros or RoonServer distros?

Linux distros, eg; Ubuntu, Arch, Debian etc. Some people may devote a whole physical drive to Linux, others may want to install it to a logical partition. Ultimately a Disk Image is an operating system and the distros have years of development of tools for installation.

The RPi is great providing you add on hardware such as the IQaudIO or HiFiBerry boards. I’m very pleased with my two boxes (one IQaudIO DAC+ and a HiFiBerry Digi+)

1 Like

As am I, I think the sound quality of these little boxes if partnered with a linear PSU is quite amazing.

I just set up a Linux VM on my QNAP 453 mini and have got Roonserver running on it and its pulling all my music in as we speak. Shame that I am in Spain till next weekend so can’t try it out at the moment.

I’m currently running a Pi2 with the PiCorePlayer distribution on a wired Ethernet connection. I run a USB DAC using speeds up to 384kbs and DSD64 without issue. I will be running DSD128 once I upgrade to RuneBridge.

Not sure who is having performance issues or if people are looking at theoretical limitations that don’t ever really come into play.

The problems on the Pi seem to arise with DSD and take the form of clicking or soft popping. People have reported hearing them on DSD64 but quite intermittent. I have experienced them on DSD128, once or twice every few minutes. Others have reported that at DSD256 they become frequent.

The problems only occur over USB because the Ethernet and USB ports on the Pi all share a common bus and have a common bandwidth limit.

The problems don’t occur when the Pi is outputting to a HAT board sitting over it (like those listed by Geoff) which uses a non USB connection.

Interesting, I haven’t heard anything on mine with DSD64. I will test with higher rates once I am running under the new software and pst my results.

I’ve got mine installed using RoonBridge and have done a quick test with DSD64 and DSD128 running encapsulated to my DAC without any issues. Will update if I hear anything out of the ordinary.