"Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

It’s not but we are very close. You can order one but it won’t ship to 2-3 weeks.

I have 5000+ tracks on a USB storage device. Please explain the bundle (transporter and rendu) vs just getting the transporter. Trying to figure out what I need. Thx

hi would the sonictransporter be able to cope with a 8tb of flac files and growing,would you need a bigger ssd for a very large collection?

It should be able to handle a very large collection. I can put a bigger SSD in it if you want. How many tracks are in your collection? The Roon db size is based in total track no file size.

1 Like

Hello Andrew.
This is a great idea. What I could be looking for is to have a computer that does this AND hqplayer together.
I admit it’s not the goal for this machine and that maybe is not the ideal platform to pack Roon Core and hqplayer “core” together.

Please let me know what you would advise for that pack.

Thanks
Miguel

This looks like a great option for running Roon server. Couple of questions about this:

1. What is the process to update the Roon software?
  2. Assuming it’s configured with internal SSD for music, how do you get files on to it? Mount as SMB, NFS?
  3. Assuming it’s NOT configured with internal SSD for music, what’s involved with configuring NAS mounts, etc? SSH in and issue commands? Something else?
  1. Same way you do on other platforms. It happens automatically.
  2. Samba (Windows) share
  3. not much you just enter the NAS URL into the web interface and press submit.

Aha - didn’t know there was a web interface. Is this documented somewhere?

Yes you can see some pictures of it in the user manual.

http://docs.sonore.us/microrendu/

Um, that’s the Microrendu - is there a manual for the SonicTransporter with details about the web interface? Thanks.

It’s the same interface. Really slick. I have both products and am very pleased.

All out products use the same web interface.

Hi @agillis and @evand,

I’ve suggested renaming the Audio Output section to “Audio Hardware and Outputs” (picking up HQP as a software output) with a sub-section for Small Green Computer. Admins will consider the request and we can shift this thread into it if that occurs.

Nice to see a turnkey server device Andrew, congratulations to SGC on being first cab off the rank.

1 Like

sure that would work.

Have you seen his super duper Roon Server. This thing is a tank. Transporter AP. Check it out. I’ve got some of my stuff for sale as this is definitely my next purchase.

@agillis Question in anticipation of receiving the transporter…

When I want to copy the Roon database into the transporter (from my Windows NUC), I need to shut down Roon first.
And I don’t want to get into the Linux layer with SSH (on general principle).
So how about this:
If I use the SonicTransporter web GUI and switch to some other music server model, will you shut down Roon? Or at least, if I do that and then power-cycle the transporter, will it not start Roon? In that case, I could backup the Roon database and copy the other one, and then use the web GUI and switch back to Roon?

Would that work?

I’m not sure you need to do all that. I think you just zip up the database and copy it over. I tried it here and it didn’t seem to work. I have an email into Roon to see if they can get me a procedure for this.

I just received an email from Brian. He says it works great. I’m trying to convert a server to a controller here at the same time so I think that is why it’s not working,. This should be all you need to do.

If you just zip up the Roon database and copy it over to the /files folder on the sonicTransporter I can connect from remote and put it in the right place.

• Shut down the windows Roon/RoonServer prior to the copy.
  • Stop the RoonServer processes on the transporter
  • Delete the RoonServer/ folder on the transporter
  • Copy the Roon or RoonServer folder over so that it ends up in the same location as the original RoonServer folder on the transporter
  • Start RoonServer back up on the transporter
  • Remove any old storage locations that no longer make sense (e.g. c:\music)
  • Re-add them using the appropriate mechanism

Keep in mind when copying databases that there is a unique ID embedded in the folder–if you have the windows + sonictransporter running at the same time with the same unique ID, it will confuse the remotes.

That’s what I planned to do.
My questions are about step 2: how do I shut it down? And step 3, where is it?

Without going into the Linux level over ssh? We have to appeal to non-geeks.

@agillis I have the Transporter installed and working now. In the process of copying my music to the SSD, will take a while.

But my questions remain. How do I copy existing metadata in the Roonserver database (from my WIndows NUC) to the Transporter? Where is it? And how do I shut down Roon to permit changing the files?