RoonReady Sonore Sonicorbiter SE

I also have a question on the outputs. I am clear that there are USB and SPDIF outputs but I wondered could this be connected to a one box amp/speaker set up like the Cambridge Audio AIR100 that takes a 3.5mm input by using a USB to 3.5mm adapter?

Something like this

Its an option I was exploring for some of my secondary room endpoints…

Seems like that might be an expensive option (if it worked) and a bit of a waste of the SonicOrbiter?

I’d maybe hold out for something like Chromecast support for your secondary devices…

Yes you are probably right - I could always just use airplay also for my secondaries. I am just greedy for a RoonReady option and am useless at waiting :slight_smile:

The photo on DAR shows an HDMI port on the SE. Out of curiosity, what does that do?

I’m with you there. I’ve got an LPS, a Pi, plus a Chromecast Audio on Order, all ready and waiting…

Ok to be fair I had the Pi, and I bought the LPS in anticipation of RoonSpeakers. The Chromecast is actually an experiment in getting Radio into my Devialet without spending much money, so I’ll try the LPS on it just because It’s there.

At some point soon hopefully I’ll have both running Roon in some fashion. :wink:

Only experimentally of course, because I’ll still have one final hurdle - Room Correction.

Andybob, the unit comes standard with a linear power supply. You can also order it with an iPower clean power supply for an extra $49.

Jesus R

Ah thanks Jesus, I was thinking of the CuBox itself. My apologies.

John, the Sonicorbiter’s RoonReady output mode can work with USB or SPDIF, but most people will use the USB output though. The unit also a SqueezeLite output mode, DLNA/MPD output mode, and a Shairport output mode.

Jesus R

I don’t recommend devices based on the C-Media chip. Try something from hifimediy instead.

Jesus R

Robert, the HDMi port is not used for audio.

Jesus R

I am contemplating the Sonicorbiter SE, but I am in the Netherlands and tried to find a dealer (online / brick and mortar) for Sonore products, but have not found any. I am a bit hesitant to order from the US (voltage?, warranty case, tax, etc…). Anybody from let’s say the NL/BE/DE region that has a Sonic Orbiter and where did you get it?

I don’t know if this belongs in its own thread I’ll let the mods decide but by stating that the Sonic Orbiter is Roon Ready does that mean it is a Roon Bridge (aka speakers) device or are these 2 different things. If they are 2 different things, what are the differences?

Thanks
SJB

I think you can only order direct, which may mean customs but you may get lucky. I’ve never bought a Sonore product personally, but from my vast research I don’t think you’ll have any warranty problems.

Its also worth noting that while the base US model comes with a linear, the EU version comes with a switch mode, unless you upgrade to the ifi version.

I did ask about buying the OS as a download, but that isn’t an option sadly - I guess its down to it being sold as a certified hardware device, which relates to @Sloop_John_B 's question above.

I purchased the SonicOrbiter from the us. It came with an EU switching power supply. Everything arrived perfectly in order with no problems or delays. I also purchased a low noise linear power supply from www.aqvox.de and it too arrived with no problems. I am delighted with the performance of the SonicOrbiter.

I just went to take the plunge only to find the Sonic Orbiter with ifi is sold out, when will it be available again?

Thanks

SJB

Hi John,

As I understand it, RoonReady means the device has been tested by Roon to properly implement RAAT (the protocol underlying RoonBridge) including things such as integration of volume controls, transport buttons and front panel displays.

In practical terms, when you buy a RoonReady device and have a problem, @brian will have one in the Lab (strictly white coats and clipboards) and will pretty much know how it ticks. If you run RoonBridge on a device that hasn’t been invented yet, you may still be able to surprise him.

Peter, many thanks for the info. Very helpful for EU residents in the forum. If I were to buy a low noise linear power supply from aqvox, do I need to order it with any specific plugs for the SonicOrbiter?

V

Specifically you need this power supply and select the 2.1mm barrel connector.

You do not need the voltage converter within Europe as the device is good for 140-260v.
Works like a charm for me - I have no direct or indirect financial interest in any of the activities of the seller. I am just a happy buyer.

Thank you!!

We also sell the iFi 5V supply as an optional upgrade. It works world wide.