RoonReady Sonore Sonicorbiter SE

It will not initiate in Roon until the unit finds your device. I sent you a PM with some steps to follow.

Jesus R

I have a SonicOrbiter SE and an Oppo BDP-105 here, so I took a minute and plugged them together, and it is working for me. That tells us that there isnā€™t a compatibility/driver issue between the two devices.

We are currently working with Sonore on some issues that occur when USB ports are plugged/unplugged after the system comes up. As a workaround, try hooking everything up, then power-cycling the SonicOrbiter SE. If itā€™s gotten into a bad state because of when things were plugged in, that should fix the problem.

1 Like

Digital Audio Review (DAR) just posted a great review of the Sonicorbiter SE. He also discuss other RoonReady endpoints.

2 Likes

Iā€™m considering purchasing a Sonore Sonicorbiter, however how do you think this will compare with a Raspberry Pi 2, once youā€™re able to use one as a Roon endpoint (hopefully that is not too far away) ? Do you think it will be just a subtle difference in SQ, or something really major ?

Hi Evan,

The Raspberry Pi USB implementation results in intermittent soft pops and crackles with DSD128 (other users report this increasing to frequent with DSD256) when used as an HQP NAA. I didnā€™t hear those artifacts when feeding it PCM. I would expect the same issue to arise if it is used as a Roon endpoint.

Other than those artifacts I couldnā€™t distinguish any substantial difference in SQ between the Pi and a CuBox-i as NAAs. Both sounded very good and improved when powered with batteries instead of switching power supplies.

Right, thanks Anybob :slight_smile: . To be honest, I donā€™t really see myself moving onwards/up from regular FLAC with CD quality. Have you seen the same issues using a RP2 as a Roon Endpoint with regular FLAC ?

No I didnā€™t hear any artifacts on the Pi when listening to Tidal FLACs upsampled to 96kHz and 192kHz PCM through Roon/HQP. I only played a couple of songs though so couldnā€™t say that it never happens. I havenā€™t listened to 44.1kHz on the Pi.

Iā€™m using the Sonicorbiter SE with the Roon/HQPlayer combination, outputting everything in DSD128 to an Oppo 105D - works and sounds great.

One of the biggest problems with the Pi is all the USB ports and the Ethernet (USB to Ethernet chip) are all on the same USB hub. This causes a lot of jitter as the music packets come in from the network and go back out to a USB attached DAC over the same hub chip.

The i.MX6 CPU we use in the Orbiter costs a lot more then the chip on the Pi. But itā€™s a lot better design. I has a full PCI bus like a MAC or PC. This is much better for audio.

Right, understood. The only negative thing I can see, is the lack of internal (or external) supported wifi. If I end up using this as an endpoint in another room, it means I will need to get Ethernet thereā€¦which for me kind of takes away from the idea of a completely self contained ā€˜wirelessā€™ endpoint.

This is just a broad question as Iā€™m new to what a NAA does or I should say will I benefit in SQ over what my setup is now.

Now I have a dedicated MacMini (late 2012 i5) that is just used as a music server with 4TB FW drive for my music and USB port into my DAC. I also bought a license for HQP which I use sometimes.

I also have a Squeezebox Touch that I purchased itā€™s own linear power supply (CIAudio VDC-5 MkII) which I think I could transfer over for use with the Sonicorbiter SE if I was to purchase one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NAA is a direct player for HQplayer.

If you have HQplayer this is the way to go. You will see sonic improvements and easy configuration with NAA. The NAA player will just ā€œshow upā€ in the HQplayer user interface and all settings and control can be done from the HQplayer user interface.

You can then run Roon of top of HQplayer for the improved user interface and feature.

Thanks Andrew @agillis for the info. Can you confirm if the linear power supply I already own (CIAudio VDC-5 MkII - http://www.ciaudio.com/products/VDC5MKII) will work with the Sonicorbiter SE.

Yes that would work great!

The Sonicorbiter SE takes 5v DC and comes with a 2 amp switching supply. With an output cable that fits, a 2.5 amp linear supply will power it just fine.

15 posts were split to a new topic: Cubox-i4Pro as an Audio Output

It will work, I am using the exact same one right now with my Sonicorbiter SE.

1 Like

A question about the Sonic Orbiter, as a RoonBridge or endpoint, whichever it is, does it work through spdif and USB outputs?

And also will it only act as an NAA for HQP using the USB output?

Thanks

SJB

I also have a question on the outputs. I am clear that there are USB and SPDIF outputs but I wondered could this be connected to a one box amp/speaker set up like the Cambridge Audio AIR100 that takes a 3.5mm input by using a USB to 3.5mm adapter?

Something like this

Its an option I was exploring for some of my secondary room endpointsā€¦

Seems like that might be an expensive option (if it worked) and a bit of a waste of the SonicOrbiter?

Iā€™d maybe hold out for something like Chromecast support for your secondary devicesā€¦