Roon's biggest feature... The metadata

Problem is I’m not sure there’s a better source. One of my other apps, Collectorz, abandoned outside sources because of cost and went to a crowd sourced model. I don’t think it’s any more accurate or complete. Plus they have to maintain the data on their own servers. It’s a difficult problem but Roon is selling data so they need to get it right.

Even MusicBrainz has its moments

I used SonKong to ID a disc the other day , it came back with 1 track ID’ed as a different album than the rest , Not a SK issue I am sure.

The bottom line is MusicBrainz is probably the best you can hope for but it tends to be better for rock but not so good for classical which is where the need is . When it works it adds Work & Part which is what Roon needs.

Sometimes it simply easier to add the tags manually which kinda defeats the object of Roon.

Is it about self ripped cd’s

The best place to do that is MusicBrainz because everyone, including Roon benefits. The worst place to do it is inside Roon - 1) the UI will drive you insane and 2) only you benefit, but you’re no longer sane enough to appreciate it.

1 Like

I’ve not tried putting stuff in MusicBrainz, I may give it a whirl

This may help get you started:

Both ripped CDs and some digital downloads.

Here’s an example of a digital download album that is not recognized by Roon.

Almost exactly since manually adding tags doesn’t “kinda” defeat the object of Roon, it just defeats the object of Roon, except of course, as I pointed out above, when Roon simply removes or disregards those manually added tags.

Save this on the same directory as the albums that are recognized by Roon. They may be as rare as anything to even something that you would record yourself, Roon must index it and show them

It’s got nothing to do with incorrect storage locations but rather missing 3rd party metadata or roon’s matching algorithms.

I think you may be misunderstanding.

Roon displays this album (using its embedded metadata) just fine. However, it is “Unidentified”:

which is to say that Roon has none of its own metadata to associate to this album. Despite my best efforts (I managed to get Roon to Identify Album on 280 of the 360 albums which were initially “Unidentified”), Roon is unable to ID this album.

Which is pretty outrageous, given that this is not some rare out-of-print gem; it’s in the current catalogue of a (small, but prominent) Classical Music label.

You can add metadata to Roon, he will store it in your local database

You don’t have to worry about that, it just means that Roon has no data that fit in the specified album or title.
I also have many of those “Unidentified” albums, which you can just play anyway

fernand,

The members in this discussion completely understand how to use Roon. We are discussing Roon’s 3rd party metadata sources and matching.

I think you have missed the point of this entire discussion thread. It has nothing to do with whether albums are playable in Roon.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the albums in your library are “Unidentified”?

I couldn’t see this in allmusic either under the orchestra discography or the conductor.

More than I thought!

Identified runs about 85% and unidentified 15%

How there is another perhaps more important category:

identified but with minimal metadata or incorrect metadata. I can’t say what percentage of identified these albums comprise but I can say that the new the album the higher the likelihood that if it is identified it will come with a minimal amount of metadata. Here are a few examples of the wide variation in the quality of metadata provided by Roon:

Unidentified with missing track artist tags:

Identified older release with good metadata (two parts):

Identified new release with worthless metadata:

Identified new release with good metadata (notice the hyperlinked artists at the top of the tracks list):

File tags for the above album (notice the “artist” tags):

Identified with meatadata REMOVED by Roon:
Part 1 - where are the artists?

Part 2 - the “credits” tab:

Part 3 - file tags that show the credits that Roon removed (notice the “artist” tags):

I hope these screen shots help to understand my frustration with Roon’s handling of metadata.

2 Likes

Not “signed up for” rather what you PAID for.

Dunno, as an early lifer I feel a little like a leech, but then a little usage reminds me that I shouldn’t feel guilty, there’re a lot of half-baked biscuit in the tin.