Roon's Curating and How it Works

1. Obviously Roon gets better at selecting the next songs played during the Start Radio feature, but wondering what affects those selections and how (i.e. what does Roon’s algorithms “think” when each of the following actions is performed):
    a. Thumbs Up/down on next song pop up
    b. Just clicking skip song - and also does it matter if you skip song near the beginning vs. end of the song
    c. Favouriting (through the heart function) a song, artist or album

2. Does the above actions also tailor what ends up being suggested in the “Discover” area and in the same way in regards to the actions taken during the Radio function?

3. Kind of related - I use Qobuz in Roon most of the time - when I then go use Qobuz on it’s own, have all my selections and favourite/most played songs/artists, etc. also been selected as if I had played them in Qobuz directly all along? I mean, are my Roon selections reflected in Qobuz’s algorithms too?

1 Like

Anyone have any input on these questions?

Roon have said on previous livestreams / Q&As that they treat these actions as signals and they inform the recommendations that Valence provides.

Roon have said before that the radio function has two separate kind of algorithms, one for local only and one combining local and streaming. That makes me think that different areas are handled separately, someone else may be able to give a better guess.

Yes. When you add an album via roon or stream it via roon, Qobuz sees that as normal.

Worth noting though that Qobuz doesn’t have any recommendation algorithms at the moment (at a quality level you’d want). They use basic genre matching for suggesting albums in their radio feature and weekly Q so it doesn’t really matter what you give them, Qobuz are not going to be able to return intelligent suggestions.

Thanks for the response.

On your first reply - any indication anywhere of how these “signals” differ from one each other?
Like, does skip a song do the same as thumbs down and maybe how unlikely more now you are to hear that song?
Similarly, is favouriting a song the same as giving a thumbs up or is it better or worse and in what context by how much?

Great that the radio areas are handled separately, but do we know at least if it helps to tailor the suggestions made in the Discover area, or the next time you click Start Radio on a similar (or same) song/album/artist/genre?

Good to know about Qobuz and how it reflects back the actions.
I’m new to Qobuz so I didn’t actually know it doesn’t have recommendation algorithms as I’ve only really used it via Roon so far.
I’ve found Spotify’s suggestions songs to be really, really good, but unfortunately I like what Roon provides too much to only use Spotify all the time.

Roon has never given specifics, only that your personal choices by themselves cannot move suggestions a lot.

I see - so just to confirm, does that mean that your personal choices in general are mostly irrelevant in affecting the song selections in a radio queue or on discover area?

1 Like

I didn’t use those words, just, not as influential as most fellow users assume or in the ways some assume. There have been many discussions on this over the years on this forum. A bit of searching might bring up some older threads that have a ton of information.

Like this one

Read them all - still can’t find discrete answers to my questions - thanks, I know you didn’t use those words - I was simply trying to understand better

You won’t. To my knowledge, the post I linked is the most said by Roon officially on how things with Roon Radio work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.