Roonserver guessing of a client ip is not optimal / buggy

I have had a problems haunting me for years that local sound card was not found. Finally I found the root cause of the problem. The main problem is that the roonserver can’t find the local sound card on a Windows 11 host (same problem on Windows 10 also).

The root cause seems to be that I have several IP aliases on different networks on my Windows 11 computer. The problem is that the roonserver tries to connect to one of the ip’s that it of course can’t connect to.

As a workaround I had to route all network used on my main computer on the core server. It should be possible to override which IP should be used in the client instead of picking some of my ip’s at random. It usually pick the IP to my management network, instead of the default.

Would it be possible to add an option in the client to hard-code which callback IP to use? Or is there any other way to hint which IP it should pick for callback?

You can use the Windows firewall to restrict the Roon software to the desired network (Scope).

Guess that work in normal situation. I’m not using Windows firewall, but bitdefender. My computer is also domain joined, so not sure how the IP picking algorithm is implemented. An override function would be nice in the client.

Raise it as a feature suggestion.
Though as it’s probably only needed for a relatively small number of users…

I’m not totally understanding the multiple IP’s - can you provide a bit more info on your hdwr config? You say “local soundcard” - is that referring to the win11 wkst itself or a indiv PCi card? I’m not sure why a sound card would have a separate IP different from the win11 wkst, but again 'm not totally following the issue. You also mention, “domain joined”, can you clarify this as well?

Your roon server + your endpoints should all have static IP’s. This can be done various ways, but many times is accomplished via the router. So assuming you have access (login) to your router, this should be straightforward. IP’s have a lease timeout, so even without assigning static IP’s your components should “usually” maintain the same IP, but it’s usually best to assign static, solves a lot of issues.

Yes, referring to the local soundcard on my computer. I see in the logfile from the roon server that it picked one of my ip’s (and not the right one). My main computer has several IP’s for different network. Have a range for switches, one range for IP’s in my secondary residence (home and secondary is vpn connected), and a few more. My main computer can “rule” them all. :-). When I mention “domain joined”, it means that I run domain servers at home that computers are joined to like what’s normal for enterprises. I use a mix of static IP and dhcp IP for ipv4, and IPv6 (static and SLAAC) also. It’s not a common home installation.

thanks for raising as a feature request…

Ah OK, so clearly and advanced config and you know networking et al…Although if the soundcard is on same broadcast domain as the roon server (and those don’t move around), seems like a static should work, but looks to be a feature request for your use case.

If your soundcard is moving between your different networks (requiring new unique IPs), then all bets are off. I thought it was possible to hardcode an IP in roon for a specific zone, if so that might work.

Roon discovers endpoints via multicast, it might be that is blocked somehow.

1 Like