RoonServer on QNAP NAS (Package) [completed]

You are right. For that reason I sold my Qnap; now my Nuc is preforming my NAS tasks. It can do maybe 80% of the functionality of a Qnap - enough for me

Just adding my wish for Roon Server to suit Synology DS1515+
I have installed a SSD for cache and 6mb RAM.
There will only be 1 user and with less than 1000 CDs Iā€™m sure it would be a smooth experience.

My thoughts about Roon and NAS.

As power hungry as Roon isā€¦and thatā€™s not a criticism considering itā€™s featuresā€¦it just begs to be installed on a NAS device.
You rarely switch your NAS offā€¦as opposed to switching off your PC when finished performing your tasks. It really is bothersome to leave your PC running in your study just because you might want to access Roon from another room in the house at some later stage in the day.
Given the lack of grunt of most NAS devices wouldnā€™t it be an idea to release a ā€˜Roon Liteā€™?..with all the features of the full version but just a limitation on the size of the database. eg. 1000 CDā€™s / albums only. It could be cheaper too :wink:

RoonServer already fulfils the task of ā€œRoon Liteā€. I have RoonServer running in a VM on a Celeron CPU with a library of >7500 albums. Runs fine.

Iā€™m not sure how much lighter youā€™d ever want to go, unless Roon decide to design something that would run the Core on a Raspberry Pi or similar.

Is there anyone who has already tried to install the new Linux 1.2 headless version natively on a QNAP NAS?

Hi Kai,

Have a read [How To] RoonServer on QNAP NAS (Lubuntu VM) in which Mark describes installing Roon into at Linux VM.

Any luck on a native QNAP package? Virtual environments are a bit beyond my skill set Iā€™m afraidā€¦

QNAP package is currently being tested.
There are a few small things that need to be sorted. Apparently not all models are delivered with the same set of library files.

3 Likes

Hadnā€™t seen @crieke post here, that sounds great!
Having just aquired a QNAP TS-470-Pro iā€™ll be a happy bunny!

When will it be available and how will it perform?

Christopher is a volunteer user writing a QNAP package as a service for the Roon Community. It will be available entirely at his convenience.

I am thank full that some one is creating a headless version of Roon to be used on Qnap NASā€™s Hopefully I will then be able to use a Sonicorbitor-SE networked to it and a Lenovo Yoga 2 as a remote to serve up files to a Dac. Anything to not have a PC turned on all the time.

Released!

1 Like