RoonServer on QNAP NAS (Package) [completed]

I would like to run Roon on a NAS (as opposed to a PC or MAC). Is there a version (Linux I suppose) that I can install on a QNAP HS-251?

Hi,

Not presently, the Roon development team are working on a headless Linux version but that’s not targeted at running on a NAS right now.

It’s my preference too, to be able to run RoonServer on my Intel i7 based QNAP.

I’ going to move this over to the feature request category.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Where on the Roon website should I periodically check to see whether or not RoonServer for QNAP has been released?

Hi Joe,

The Software Release Notes will mention release of the headless Linux version:

[quote=“Carl, post:2, topic:4455”]
Not presently, the Roon development team are working on a headless Linux version but that’s not targeted at running on a NAS right now.

It’s my preference too, to be able to run RoonServer on my Intel based QNAP.
[/quote]Honestly I’m happy that Roon Labs is not targeting NAS platforms for theirs Linux implementations. However, QNAP is one of the few NAS platforms that have the “grunt” to accomplish something like a RoonServer.

Plus I’ve got a QNAP. :wink:

So IF time is spent on adapting a RoonServer build for a NAS, I’m giving my not-so-humble thumbs up for QNAP as a target. :slight_smile:

Just curious - why are you happy about this?

Just a heads-up when considering installing RoonServer on a NAS. When Roon integrates with HQPlayer the transcoding and convolution engine (if included) will be done in the Core. A NAS processor that supports RoonServer as is may be inadequate for converting 44.1 PCM to 128 or 256 DSD on the fly, particularly if there is a possibility of wanting to do it to different streams in 2 or more zones simultaneously.

All this is, of course, speculative and there may be no harm in installing Linux RoonServer on a NAS and then later upgrading to some other Core when HQPlayer requirements become clearer. But anyone purchasing a NAS in the expectation that the inbuilt processor will suffice for all their processing needs in Roon going forward may want to take those things into account.

Apologies Joe. I mis-spoke. I should have said “happy that Roon Labs is not targeting NAS platforms now”. Emphasis on the “now”.

They don’t have any public Linux release yet, and IMO their first efforts in that OS are best applied to non-platform specific Linux targets to reach the broadest possible audience. And that appears to be what they are doing. Once that’s accomplished, I’d be delighted to see Roon on NAS platforms. But IMO platform independent Linux needs to be addressed first.

That makes sense, although for my own selfish reasons I’d like to see a version that will work with the QNAP HS-251 as soon as possible :smile:

The QNAP HS-251 is Celeron based and only has 1GB of RAM which can not be expanded as it is soldered to the motherboard. Thus this device does not have enough resourses to run Roon even if there were to be a QNAP version.

Bummer. :sob:

Carl,

What would be the minimum specs for an NAS to run Roon.

I have a synology 415+ which has 2 GB RAM. The CPU is Intel Atom C2538, Quad Core 2.4 GHz.

Would this be sufficient?

That atom is pretty similar in power to the one in the hs-251. Now there is more ram, but, if the hs 251 doesn’t cut it, the 415 probably doesnt. We won’t know for sure until we see how much cpu and ram the Linux variant needs. If it needs the same power as the pc or Mac version then it will need an i5 and 4 gb.

Two things to consider with NAS’s:

• They tend not to have a fast SSD onboard where the Roon database can live. Performant solid state storage is an enabling technology for Roon. Yes, Roon can run on spinning disks, but the experience isn’t as good, particularly during startup and database upgrades which can take 10x longer on a spinning drive.
  • NAS’s often ship with extremely cache-constrained CPUs (Celeron and some Atoms). This makes memory/data intensive operations like focus, radio, and discover, as well as some DSP operations less snappy.

We’re not going to go out of our way to stop people from doing this, since there are definitely high-performing NAS’s out there that are capable of being great RoonServer platforms. We may even make packages for some of them eventually. But, it’s definitely a good idea to consider your actual hardware before making a plan like this. Roon Performance on headless linux platforms is basically identical to its performance on headless mac.

Thanks @Brian I think your statement:

Is key when people are considering hardware.

So I’m guessing from reading all this that RoonServer won’t be supported on the WDMyCloudEX2 NAS?

I’m debating having to buy a Mac Mini to run Roon, I’d rather just buy the “right” NAS that can run RoonServer and not have to deal with supporting a full general-purpose computer (and it’s likely half the price of a well-configured Mini).

-mike

I bought a Qnap HS-251 with 2 GB.
What is the status of this issue now ?
Will there be a Qnap app ?
Minimum Linux requirements ?

I have installed RoonServer on a Qnap with the help of this article.

It works really well so far but I am already considering to install a SSD for caching.

Hope this helps until a QPKG is available from RoonLabs.

I’ve been wanting to run Roon on this Qnap fanless nas. But I am sure it lacks in RAM, and I doubt I can live with the processor speed compared to my I5 Nuc. For me the route has been to make the Nuc fanless ( Akasa case); next step will be a SSD. This route will cost you as much as an unsure route with the Qnap 251 (+) and fore sure has a better performance and lower power consumption

It doesn’t have lower power consumption if you already have a QNAP251 on the network serving other tasks.