RoonServer on ROCK - trouble with SMB: invalid network path

Hi @Robert_Ostermeyer,

To recap:

• You recently moved your Core from PC to ROCK and this is when the issue started
  • You can add a watched folder from your NAS without issue
  • You cannot add a watched folder from your PC
  • You’ve enabled SMBv1 on your PC, no change

Is that all correct?

Starting out, I’m hoping you can describe your networking setup for me. How are each of these devices connected to the network and what networking hardware (router, switches, etc.) are in use?

Next, can you share a screenshot of the folder you’re trying to share on the Windows device? Please include a screenshot of the Sharing tab of Properties for this folder, as seen below:

Yes - 4x

I have tried 4 PC with Windows 10 and also an iphone with the app filebrowser. All devices work without problems with network name or IP address and protection username / password with shared network folders. I think the problem is with the software ROCK for NUC! There is probably a problem here with an outdated Samba integration. Why is my NAS working with a linux derivative on all windows machines? Without big changes? Why is the iphone working in the network? Here in the forum there are so many error messages to exactly this problem (unexpectedError)? My solution was:

1. enable smb1 again in Windows 10 (developer - please add smb2 - better smb3)
  2. increase the IRPStackZize
  3. in the Windows - extended sharing settings - password-protected sharing off
    then I was able to connect with “smb: // ipaddress / folder”.
    Why the mistake came before I can not say. Maybe Rock can not handle usernames that contain a @? This is very common in Windows 10 because it syncs a Windows account.
    It is a solution, but an uncertain and outdated.
    Please developer, makes it possible that a password protection works again in Windows 10, that I do not have to raise an IRPStackSize manually over Regedit and an outdated smb1 protocol is used.
    Although I have an unlimited license, I do not want to wait indefinitely.
1 Like

Your step 2 is not needed AFAIK - I’ve never had to touch this setting in all my years of using Windows and Linux/ROCK.
Your step 3 has succeeded because you’ve turned password-protected sharing off. It appears as though you’ve been using your Microsoft Account (which uses an email address) as the username to access the shared folder on your Windows 10 PC. This often seems not to work properly. Why, I’m not sure.

You could use the name of the local account on your Windows PC instead. Windows 10 installations always set this up and map it to your Microsoft Account.

The local account name is the same as the user folder name. So, for example, if your user folder is at C:\Users\fred - then the local account is fred, and this will be mapped to your Microsoft Account which could be fred.smith@xyz.com. In Roon’s Add Network Share page, you would then use fred and not fred.smith@xyz.com as the username, and use your Microsoft Account password in the Password field.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.