RoonServer on Synology does not start automatically after reboot of the NAS (Solved: exFAT filesystem)

Hi all,
Newbie her. Installed Roon on my DS218+, works like a charm, update to 1.3 went on the fly so I am very happy. Have identified all my albums and that works great as well.

I do have a problem though: I restart my NAS every night and Roon does not start up automatically. Is there a way to fix that? Preferably without losing all my album identifications (if I would have to reinstall).

Thanks!

Hi @Jeroen_Top;
I just checked this on my Synology device and it was still running after a reboot of the NAS.
When this happens the next time, can you open the log file and make a screenshot of that content before starting RoonServer manually again?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

The error log says:
ERROR: Shared folder “RoonServer” not found.

My Roon library is on a SSD at advised.
Looking at the err msg, it looks like my SSD starts up slower than Roon, could I fix that some way?

Thanks, Jeroen

I have to investigate a little bit and try to reproduce this on my system.
I will let you know when I find out something.

Can you tell me the filesystem of your external SSD (like ext3, ext4, exFAT etc…)?

Hi,
It is formatted exfat (according to my Synology)
KR, Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,
I just had time to test a little bit with external volumes and different filesystems. Even though I can’t say for sure I am assuming that this behaviour is caused by the exFat filesystem.

I tried external storage with Fat32 and ext4 filesystemss. Both seem to work and do not prevent RoonServer to start up.
I then created an exfat formated drive. I could not mount it without buying the Synology exfat plugin:

So, as exfat seems not be implemented on system level and is loaded by a package during launch, I am guessing this will cause a delay in the external storage mount.

Is exfat essential for your workflow? Otherwise I’d recommend to initialise your external disk with an ext4 filesystem. (Make a backup of your database first!)

Hi Christopher,

I backed up my database, formatted my disk, restored my database, rebooted and everything is working great!
Learned something today, thanks for your help and knowledge!

Kind regards, Jeroen

1 Like

Hello, I have exactly the same symptoms as Jeroen. Similar configuration NAS + USB-SSD.
I found an inconvenient work around that is to go in Synology and start the “Roon Server” manually.
The difference with Jeroen is that the SSD is already formated for ext4.
I am new to Roon my system worked fine for two weeks. Probably until I upgraded the Synology RAM from 2 to 6 GB.
Upgrading was smooth and easy!
Crieke will ask the Log view of the “Roon Server”.
But I cannot see it. When I go to installed packages I find no Log entry!
Thank you. Jacques
PS: I will be absent from this site next week.(starting Monday 17).

Jacques, you may want to start a new thread - this one is marked as solved in the title and you may not get as many people looking at your problem as you could.