rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

@DrCWO - For your consideration, would it be possible to persist the setting for disabling the Pi LED over a reboot please?
This would save having to navigate into the settings every time the Pi gets powered down and back up.
I suspect that for most people this would be the preferred configuration.
Many thanks

I understand your wish but from my support focused view it would be pure horror.

If anybody has issues one of my first questions is to watch the LEDs after boot. So I can see what is happening and getting an idea what goes wrong. Disabling this I have no chance to see if rooExtend gets started and connected to Roon. In all those cases the only advice I might be able to give would be “start with a fresh SD-Card” necessary or not. I believe this will make people more unhappy.

I hope you can understand my point of view. Maybe a piece of tape glued over the LEDs would be an option for you. I wonder why your Pi gets rebooted so often. Mine runs forever if I don’t stop it by myself…

Best DrCWO

Fair points!

My use case is the Nuimo and Pi located in a bedroom and the power switched off occasionally when we travel or suffer a power cut.
The LED flashing isn’t great at night, hence disabling it in the Settings.
I appreciate that it isn’t much effort to change the setting each time, but its the only thing I do need to keep doing as everything else runs so smoothly.

The only option I can think of would be to run with the LED on for perhaps 10 minutes after booting then revert to the user’s preference for on or off after that? And keep flashing the LED if in any known error state?

I’ll look into taping over the LED for now.

This is a good point!
I will put it on my list that I plan to work on this summer :+1: :grin:

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

New NUIMO OFFER

Here is an offer for a Nuimo in BLACK!!!

If you like get it but be quick.
Is a bit expensive but seems to be mechanically OK.
I ordered some replacement batteries so I can do an exchange if necessary.

Some days ago I updated the guide to update firmware for current iOS releases.

Best DrCWO

Hello Doc,

I was reading up on your post from last year. I am still intrigued how to be able to use the Nuimo as a controller in combination with my harmony hub infrared remote control. I have the “+” and “-” buttons in Roon working with my Harmony remote using the Khazul Deep Harmony extension version 2.6.7+387 by selecting the Deep Harmony extension as volume control in Roon device settings. I have selected the same Roon device in the Nuimo Extension. However as soon as I start playback the Nuimo extension keeps disappearing and reappearing in the extension menu. Needless to say the Nuimo is not able to control the volume this way. Any ideas on what is going on and how to fix this?

I also have a rooDial license and Dial knob. This extension does not crash under the same circumstances described above. However it also is not able to control the volume.

Should work with both :thinking:
Seams to be a bug with rooNuimo. Would you please send me the System Log.
You can find it if you open your browser with the IP number off rooExtend (linke http://192.168.0.10).
On this page there is a button all way down to get the system log.

Please mail it to info@definiteaudio.de

Best DrCWO

Thanks for the support Doc, you have got mail.

EDIT
I tried once more with the rooDial and it appears to work perfectly now. No idea why it didn’t before. RooNuimo still has the aforementioned connection issue though. Would be awesome if you could sort that out as I much prefer the Nuimo over the Dial.

1 Like

Thanks
It works

The distance you can bridge with Raspberry PI internal Bluetooth is limited.
My recommendation to enhance the distance and stability of the BT connection are:

1. Run latest rooExtend v3.1.x. This is absolutely stable with Nuimo.

2. Have the latest firmware on the Nuimo. How to check and update see this document.

3. Use a External Bluetooth Antenna from ZEXMTE like this one

4. Get a USB extension cable like this and connect it between the Pi and the USB antenna. With this you are able to put the antenna away from the Pi which helps improving the distance that can be bridged.

Doing as described will fix distance and BT connection issues with the Nuimo.

Best DrCWO

With connection issue I meant the extension that keeps crashing when linking the rooNuimo and deep harmony extension and prevents my Nuimo from connecting. The reason why I mailed you…

Ah, now I got it. :grin: Yes is on my list to check and fix.

Best DrCWO

Much appreciated, after getting used to the Nuimo the Dial feels like a big step backwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

New features for rooNuimo!

Please see my posting here

Best DrCWO

Just wanted to say that I have an original Nuimo from the Kickstarter days and it’s been sitting in a drawer for literally years. Then I stumbled upon this project when investigating RooPlay and got it setup and working in minutes! Thanks so much for such a great implementation and breathing life back into what had essentially become an expensive (yet fun to spin) paperweight.

I have a question about replacement batteries - is it a simple plug and play job? Or does it require soldering? Any guide or instructions on how to do it?

3 Likes

It requires opening the Nuimo and also some soldering as the new batteries have a bigger connector.

Please also check if you have the latest firmware on the nuimo. If you don‘t know how please get back to me.

Best DrCWO

Has anyone had any issues charging their Nuimo? Mine went flat after a couple of weeks and I can’t seem to get it to charge back up. I’ve lots the original powerbrick it came with and there are no markings to indicate what kind of voltage I should use to charge it.

I charge mine with any old 5v USB charger I have at hand and never had an issue with any of them.
Hopefully not bad news for you

2 Likes

It is micro USB and should be charged with 5V. I still have some replacement batteries here, so I might be able to help…

2 Likes

Hmm yeah, I plugged it into a 5v apple charger and nothing seems to be happening. Should a light come on somewhere? I suspect something might be up…

@DrCWO are you selling replacement batteries? Do you happen to ship to Norway?