rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

When the rooExtend Box is released will we be able to lift & shift previously purchased licenses from Raspberry Pi devices to run all from this instead?

Yes, licensing will be the same

Got things up and running via WiFi and using the Behringer phono amp/adc. Works flawless… wil get a Pro-ject DS2 USB second hand tomorrow which hopefully is a step up in soundquality.

1 Like

Yeah I read that… but I didn’t pay €599,- for and I would think it wil outperform a €22,- behringer. It is hard to find a simple adc with just line inputs and usb output between €100,-
and €300,- of there a suggestions I would like to hear them :slight_smile:

If you have a separate phono pre why not use this one. In Germany you will get it for 150€ :smile:

Hmm that looks nice… and second hand for around €80-90,-…

1 Like

I can confirm that the Amazon hub is actually a quite good 5V supply for the Raspberry 4. The noise level is lower than most other USB supplies and it works fine :slight_smile:
In the radio setup for Vinyl my URL line looks like this: http://192.168.1.192/audio/?playbackSource=interface&interfaceSampleRate=192000
Will this line look the same for different USB sources? Your example is for UFO 202 but I use a Project Phono Box DS2 USB. It works and I can change the sample rate but now and then I still have to re-enable “Source to be played” this line always says “None” even while it streams. Is this setup correct?

Hmm I got a problem with my ds2 connecting to the raspberry pi. When i connect it, the sample rate is changed tot dsd128 and i cannot change it on the project. Nothing is streamed to Roon. The ds2 is recognised by rooPlay. And i van select up to 192kHz but in the stream it says 44.1kHz and no sound is put through

This is correct for all audio interfaces. The source to be played is only necessary to set if you start playback via the rooPlay Roon Extension directly. Doing it with the direct link as you did the setting is not used.

Strange. Please reboot the Pi with connected DS2.
Then go to rooPlay and try to play audio (still not working)
I need the log and sound interface setting by mail to info@definiteaudio.de. You find both at http://and the IP of your Raspberry.

Try to enable “Source to be played” under Extensions again and don’t try to change sample rate at the front of your Project at any time. You can also try to reboot Roon and your Raspberry. I have had the same issue but when it streams audio it seems to be very reliable. But you have to leave your Project box on all the time I’m afraid because the issue you have now returns after you turns your Project on again. If you find a solution please let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

For an other customer I worked on a new release (not yet ready) so you can turn on and off the ADC whenever you like :wink:

Thanks Michael! I got it working… now trying to find the sweet spot for best amplification… I’m afraid Amir from audiosience review was not lying about the adc quality…

1 Like

Hi René. I have earlier used the Project directly connected to my DAC by toslink spdif and was therefore forced to attenuate the digital output by as much as 20-30 dB which is more acceptable than most people expect because you have 24 bit resolution. Therefore I’ll recommend you to spare a lot of headroom by reducing the level as much as you can live with by simply turning down the analog volume at the front of the Project - in my experience it sounds less stressed in this way even if it’s not an ideal situation. For some reason it also tends to sound more “analog” to me if I reduce the sample rate from 192 kHz but of course it all depends on many other things in the setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, it is performing better at low volumes but I have crank up my Naim Atom quite loud and then the sound is acceptable… I’m going to look for another ADC and keep the DS2 for phono amp…

Add: found maybe a good solution the Zoom U-22… at €75,- it doesn’t brake the bank… line in and 96/24 ADC

1 Like

Hi,
I bought a licence of Rooplay and I’m happy with.
But the behaviour in my setup is not exactly the one described in the video, when I Insert a cd in my apple super drive there is not automatic playing, what was playing continued to play. I have to chose RooExtend radio and push on play button.
Aside this, I still don’t succeed to play from my iPhone via AirPlay but it not really what I was looking for.
Thanks for help

Please try if it works if nothing plays and you insert the CD.
If not please reboot the Pi and retry.
If still o success please send me the System log.

Best DrCWO

I just send to your email address (info@definiteaudio.de) the system log.
I tried like you proposed but without success.
Thx

Hi,
“Any USB audio interface should work as far as it supports Audio Class 2.
I tested with Behringer UFO202, a Swissonic model and ADI-2 pro FS” you wrote. Good to know but it would be really nice to know the specific model name of the Swissonic you tried because the Swissonic model UA 2x2 is not directly specified as Class 2 I’m afraid. The model HAD-1 is class compliant but it has only a USB input. I don’t think there are other relevant Swissonic interfaces but maybe I’m wrong.
Thanks in advance!