rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

Would be great to get the Korg working with rooPlay.
Recording results in DSD 64 are shockingly good.

1 Like

There should be a small program in the software package of the Korg that is able to set the Volume and Phono/Line for the analog input.
With this program the box can be configured and this setting is stored inside the box and even kept if you unplug it.
Having set up the box with it before connecting with rooExtend should make it run after I found the bug in rooPlay :blush:
Have you already found this litte program?
I read about in the manual of the Korg.

Best DrCWO

This little program just let me set the volume. I can’t select line or phono. This program looks quite basic and old. More testing tomorrow.

I can set line/phono elsewhere in the software, but as soon as I disconnect the DAC from the PC, it switches automatically to line, and we are again where we started.

It is called „DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool“.
If I google that I see a screenshot where I can set volume and input…

Maybe an e- mail to Korg support asking how to set the device up so it keeps the setting might be an other option.

DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool is from 2015, without any update since then. They have only a Windows version available, nothing for the Mac. Looks like this program is dead.
I emailed Korg support. Let’s see if they answer.

I again checked the info you sent, hoping these settings can also be done by USB audio Class 2. In this case I might have the chance to set them. But there are no such settings. The box has to be configured with the Korg software or the setting tool.
You recorded with the box using the MAC program right? Have you ever tried disconnecting the box after use, connect it to a Win PC and start DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool? I wonder if it will show the settings (Volume, Prono/Line) you made with the MAC software.

Today I will fix the issue in rooPlay and you should be able to use the Korg :+1:
You will see it the Volume and Phono settings will stay after set in the MAC software.

Best DrCWO

I have done all of that already yesterday.
I recorded with a PC and with a MAC. Just to try all options. Recording works fine with both.
I even transported a turntable to my office Win PC to connect it to the Korg, to see if a connected turntable allows access to the line/phono settings via the Setting tool.
I can firmly state: The available version of the setting tool does not allow setting phono or line. Also volume settings are not remembered. There is no possibility to write changed settings to the DAC or even save them. Maybe that was possible with an earlier version of Windows. The latest update of that tool dates back to early 2015.

Does this mean that if you make the settings in the Mac program and next connect the box to windows they are gone?

I was referring to the Setting Tool. If I change volume with that tool, it is not remembered.
When switching between MAC and Win PC settings are remembered. When I connect the DAC to the Rpi4 with roonPlay, settings are switched to line and later have to be switched to phono again on MAC or PC.

Interesting :+1:t2:
I will fix the rooPlay thing and then you can retry…

Ok. I look forward to more tests later today.

1 Like

This looks great!! apart from the 10sec delay which I hope can be solved.

Is there a memory advice for the pi4? is 1 or 2gB sufficient?

Are there plans for WiFi implementation? since I don’t have an ethernet connection at place of my turntable…

Better 2G and also better Ethernet. Streaming FLAC via WiFi may result in dropouts. But you can try with WiFi. it is not blocked…

Great! If WiFi is not working I can try ethernet over powerline…

1 Like

Another question… wil the Hifiberry DAC+ ADC Audio Board for the Pi 4 also work with rooPlay? My turntable has a line out so that would be a one box solution….

Sorry no, only USB audio interfaces are currently supported.

I have ordered the Amazon hub for rooControl and wonder if the 20 V supply is needed if you only want to to use the hub as a trig control for other equipment like a power amplifier? If it is needed I would like to ask if the hub itself (one of the ports not used for control) could be used as a 5 V supply for the rooExtend Raspberry? Because the supply is 20 V and the output from the ports 5 V they might be regulated and suitable for this so you don’t need a separate supply for the Raspberry…

I never tested without the external power supply.

This hub is also for quick charging via USB3 and I believe this is why it needs the higher voltage. I also have never tried to power the Pi from the Hub but in my eyes this should be possible. Just plug it in the first USB-Slot and try.
I connected some other things to the Hub. My Apple Super drive, the BT-Antenna and my ADI-2 Pro FS. Connected the Hub itself to one of the USB-3 slots at the Pi4.

Regarding Korg DAC-DS-10R

I had quite an excessive testing session with @miklats in a private thread. He got the device for testing and we both tried hard to make it run with rooPlay.

The bad news is: Korg DAC-DS-10R does NOT work with rooPlay.

I still wonder why as all looks good. At the end it cannot be accessed as an input device by rooPlay for whatever reason. Maybe some day I will get one and start an in depth analysis why it did not work. Until then please note that you cannot use it with rooPlay.

Best DrCWO