rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

The answer is No.
The reason for the delay is an internal buffer of Roon. They use this for Internet radio stations to have a certain security buffer if data was delivered delayed by the radio station. You also can recognize the 10s if you start an internet radio via Roon.
I hope Roon can offer me an improvement soon.

Best DrCWO

I discovered an audio problem when streaming Apple Music via rooPlay.
When pausing and then restarting, audio is lost. When changing albums without pausing, audio is not lost. If this behavior is not only present in my set-up, it needs to be looked at in a future release.

Thnx, dankeschön :pray:

1 Like

Thank you for this hint. I tested and you are right. Will find out and fix.

1 Like

You sure the delay is all Roon. I don’t get a 10sec delay starting any internet radio station in Roon about 3 secs until it plays.

Hmm, I will check this.

Dear DrWO,
Of i only want to use RooPLAY for playing my music from my IPhone, do i need RooExtend Flirc case, or only the RooPLAY lifetime licence?
With kind regards,
Joop Mertens

You need a Raspbaery Pi and the rooExtend Sd-Card image. On the product page all you need is listed.

I checked it. In my home if I click Play on a live Radio station I can see the green dot after five seconds and and after seven seconds I hear the radio station.

What did you do to get this any shorter. What station did you use?

Radio Paradise or BBC Radio 6 are the ones I use most frequently, but it’s the same for any start in about 3 secs maybe some a few seconds more but never 10. I would say say it’s your isp that’s causing the longer delay. When I used icecast to do what your doing it was never 10secs either. But was longer than Roons internet radio.

I tested the delay time with German stations: NDR Kultur and SWR1. After aprox. 3 seconds I get audio.

Well, I have a for channel 64k FIR filter in the audio pipeline and also headroom control and resampler. I will disable this and see what delay I get without all those Roon DSPs.

My test has been done without any DSP. Fir filters etc… take time to initialize the audio stream.

In my setup the delay is about 4-5 seconds without any DSP functions enabled. If I reboot my Roon Core for some other reason rooPlay won’t stream anymore before I go to the Extensions menu under Settings and choose the Audio interface under “Source to be played” and then save it once more. It seems like rooPlay don’t store this setup in a correct way.
Otherwise I still think this is a great Roon Extension :slight_smile:

This is what I also get here disabling all Roon DSPs. This means two seconds more for the FLAC stream than a MP3 radio station. Just digging into it but can’t find a way to decrease this delay. Sorry but I will stop work on this now.

@Michael_Madsen have you seen in the Quick installation guide that you can set up a second radio station for your audio interface?

You can click this Radio station even after a Reboot of the core and it immediately works :+1:

I released the hotfix v2.3.2 for rooExtend hopefully fixing the issues found by you.
More details see here:

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO
I got my hands on a Korg DS-DAC-10R. I can keep it for a couple of days.
The Korg is recognized by rooPlay, but:
I can only select 16bit/44.1kHz as output format and I don’t get any audio output with rooPlay.
Connecting the turntable to the phono stage of the Dac and recording in PCM or DSD via the Korg software on a MacBook Pro works perfect though.

Great news that you got one :grinning:

Would you please:

• Boot your Raspberry Pi with the Korg connected
  • Get the IP number of your Raspberry Pi
  • Open your Browser with http://[IP number of your Raspberry Pi]
  • Scroll down till end of this page
  • Click the button"Show Sound Interface"
  • What you see here please copy into an e-mail to info@definiteAudio.de
  • Please add the rooExtend release number you use to this e-mail

Thanks’ for your support. I will find out what went wrong…

Best DrCWO

Required info has been sent.

1 Like

Geat :+1:t2:
Quick reply: Something went wrong here.
I will analyze and let you know.
Best DrCWO

1 Like