rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

The RME ADI2 Pro can take a toslink input and feed it via USB, but it’s expensive for that, and it’s a waste not to use the top quality A2D.

But I guess some other USB audio interfaces may also have toslink inputs.

I already am doing an A/D conversion in my Puffin Phono Preamp (which also does the RIAA EQ and some other phono related DSP functions). It outputs a 24/96 toslink signal to my Topping D90 DAC. I want to run that toslink output into a USB converter without incurring another conversion (hence trying to avoid the Behringer). If the box that I linked can do the toslink to USB conversion in a format that the RPi and RooPlay can accept…I can avoid the second A/D conversion.

I love your creativity in exploring the possibilities of Roon. Kudos to you! Still use yur RooDial and love it.

1 Like

You need an interface that converts toslink to usb. I Found this but there also will probably other solutions.
Best DrCWO

https://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DA2USB/DA2USB.html
https://www.roland.com/de/products/ua-25ex/

Hello, would the “Project Record Box E” be suitable for Rooplay ?

The Roland UA25EX has been discontinued, so unlikely to be available. :+1:t4:

Just installed rooplay and the channel check L/R, sinus etc. are working fine.
Unfortunately there is no sound when i stream music over the Behringer UFO202, the problem however is not the Behringer. This is how i tested :

Analog source on Behringer → USB out from Behringer to iphone (via USB tot lighting cable) → on iphone used the app AirChord to stream the analog source over airplay directly to the Kef LS50W2 .

That worked fine so there is a 100% check that the signal from the (analog) source is coming out of the Behringer USB. Plugged the USB out of the iphone and into the Raspberry Pi, selected “Audio interface” in Roon but nothing happens?

Used poweradapter is 5V/3.1A

Solution : Reboot rooPlay via internal homepage of Rooplay

Hi,
It’s not clear to me how the RME ADI-2 Pro FS is connected to the Raspberry Pi 4.
It should have a digital output like the Behringer UFO202?
KR.

You connect it via USB.

1 Like

Can I install rooExtend on a separate RaspBerry 4 at my local network and only use the unlicensed Roon Bridge there beside all my licensed rooExtend functions that already runs at my primary RaspBerry 4 in my listening room?

Sure you can :+1:

1 Like

I tried it out but unfortunately ran into the Roon UID problem where Roon can’t distinguish between the two Roon Bridges because my Roon core still keeps the UIDs from my previous setup. How can I reset my Roon Core’s internal Bridge settings so I can use two individual bridges?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I think this is a question only Roon can answer.
I would try to disable the device and give it a different name but no idea tf this helps with the UID…

Hi Very interesting
But first question , Can I use my Intel NUC to run the Rooplay?

rooPlay is part of the rooExtend SD-card image for a Raspberry Pi.
For further information please visit https://rooExtend.com

Ok, I got all this working and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been looking for a way to stream my turntable through roon and this ended up being a good option.

More detail on my setup…my Vpi Traveler turntable feeds a Parks Audio Puffin (the Puffin does A/D conversion and performs Phono preamp tasks like RIAA equalization via DSP). The Puffin has an optional digital out (either COAX or TosLink) that feeds a Hifime SPDIF Toslink/USB converter that links to the rooExtend RPi. (note the DA2USB option looked good but that device is currently out of production due to parts shortages.)

The sound is pretty close to my direct feed out of the Puffin to my Topping D90 DAC. I might loose a little bit of fidelity but its definitely workable for the type of listening that I intend to do with it.

Next step is to think about streaming Spotify via roon. I have a couple of options for this, just have to decide the best route.

Thanks, this is a great solution with a lot of fun use cases.

Thanks‘ for the positive feedback :smile:
Regarding Spotify. I plan to implement Spotify Connect in near future. Will probably be part of v3.0.0

Best DrCWO

Excellent, I’ll wait for your implementation of connect. Will it run on the same rooExtend RPi server? or will we need to add an additional RPi (one for rooPlay/phono and one for Spotify connect)?

Same Raspberry Pi, will get integral part of rooPlay…

Question : The delay of approximately 10 sec is as a result of the RPi (a lack of) CPU power?
Reason for asking, AirChord delays approximately 2 sec via iPhone. Yes, different soft- and hardware but when it the lack of CPU power it would me nice to have a generic Linux-based procedure to install it on better hardware. Just like Roon Rock for example. (only a suggestion)

Further everything is working nice, keep up the good work :fu: