rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

I guess it would be more something like adding an additional parameter in the Radiostation link you have to enter for rooPlay. This parameter will define the buffer size and will be understood by Roon.

Hi DrCWO

This is another great addition to rooExtend, many thanks.

I unfortunately have a problem with rooPlay though. All setup okay on Pi 4, connected via Ethernet (per requirements) and iPhone Airplay works okay initially, however, when returning to listen again after a while, I get no audio - everything connects/displays okay, test signals are audible but nothing over Airplay (source tested okay). Quitting and re-launching Roon on my server (Mac mini) resolves the issue but it ultimately returns, requiring Roon restart.

Thanks

1 Like

Ok, thanks. That would be fine too. By the way: is it possible to test if your USB source is Class 2 compliant before you have a rooPlay license but only have installed the new image?

Okay, thanks for clarifying that.

Please power off the Pi and restart.
If rooPlay is visible in the Settings/Etxtensions in Roon please first try to play a test signal.
If this works please retry iPhone. Should work.
If you encounter the non working state again I need the logs you can access from the web-page of rooExtend. There is a button at the end if the page.

No, but look in the manual of your device. It should be written there USB audio class compilant or class 2.
Would you please tell me what ADC/DAC you use, I can also check this…

Just had the rooWatch licence issue again, logs sent via email.

RooPlay not affected.

.sjb

Thanks for the support via email, a PICNIC error!

.sjb

Blockquote

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I’m not interested in a solution that needs a Raspberry to enable it. I hace a PC as Roon endpoint connected thru USB to Hilo, which has ADC capability.

All the best!

I have a windows pc as my roon core, do I still need a RPi? This is for streaming/casting into roon and not for vinyl.
If so, is there a complete solution available or do I need to source hardware separately?
Thanks

You need a Raspberry Pi to run my Software. I don‘t offer it for PC. A complete solution together with a Nuimo volume controller can be bought here. RooExtend + Nuimo, Hörzone, Audio Handel und Distribution

In October a less expensive new complete device, the rooExtend Box will be available. It will be very small and perfectly machined out of one black anodized aluminum block. It is plug and play, just connect to Ethernet and power cable and you go.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

fresh install of image fixed nuimo issue.

changed hostname and rebooted and nuimo stopped working and showed bluetooth icon again. also after reboot roon display stopped working. installed new image again. now rooplay licence wont activate and nuimo wont work again. seems to be some bugs there?

also would be great if you could backup settings to file location instead of usb stick!

1 Like

nuimo is all over the place with this version, i got it working and then while listening to music it just disconnected. roon cant see it. i never hd any problems with previous version and nothing in my setup has changed

1 Like

@Zeki_Mustafa exactly same experience here, I’ve reinstalled 2.3.1 a few times now and it works then flakes out. this release requires some work on its stability @DrCWO

1 Like

My Project Phono Box DS2 USB RIAA was recognized as a valid USB audio source and my RaspBerry 4 now works like a charm while it is also acting as a Roon Bridge for my external USB/spdif adapter at the same time. Even my rooDial still works like before now after a couple of reboots.
Excellent job I must say -thanks!
When listening to vinyl LPs through Roon the sometimes annoying 10s delay can actually be a surprisingly nice “feature” as well because now you have time enough to go back to your listening chair after lowering the cartridge in the vinyl groove before the music starts playing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being able to use your DSP on television sound would be a great win given that the transmission normally boosts the bass to excessive levels when played back through hi-fi speakers. The issue is the 10 second delay making it impossible to use this for watching concert footage. Given the increasing amount of music video being available is there a way that this could be addressed, possibly working with partners on the video side?

1 Like

This is correct. Nuimo randomly disconnects from the paired rooExtend box and does not seem to reconnect at all… Reboot is required but the connection if very moody.

1 Like

In between I got some messages regarding this. I have an idea and will supply an update during this week, hope it will help.
Currently I am traveling so it will take some days.
Best DrCWO

I will contact Roon the next days maybe we will find a solution to reduce the time of buffering. Cross fingers …

1 Like

I’ve been looking for ways to stream my LP via Roon and this could be a good option. Quick question…I am currently using a puffin Phono preamp which has a 24/96 toslink output. Can I use something like this to push the optical/digital content from the Puffin to the RPi without having to utilize something like the Behringer?