rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

Besides the new rooPlay Roon Extension you now can connect a TV to the HDMI-output of the Raspberry Pi and see the beautiful Roon Display artwork. For this connect to the display called “Chrome” inside Roon.

This is very cool thanks, will try this asap!

1 Like

Do we need to subscribe to rooPlay to unlock the HDMI outputting the roon Display feature, and does it work over all Pi models ? I have a Pi Zero 2 running roo Dial and was hoping to use micro hdmi out of the Pi to display artwork.

Is the 10s delay caused by a buffer in Roon always present or is it related to the DSP engine or the “radio station” trick?
I hope Roon is willing to implement the possibility to reduce this buffer size in specific circumstances like this where the buffer is less important.

I am sorry, with Pi Zero 2 I cannot support the display as chromium needs to much memory.
You see in the chart inside the Quick installation guide that it is not supported. Using a Pi3 or Pi4 you can use it free of charge.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

No it is the buffer for radio input inside Roon. Has nothing to do with DSP. Hop I can report middle of next week if there will be a chance to decrease the buffer…

Yup, you are right! Pause is exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

If your using icecast which I assume you are you can reduce the buffer a little from the default butnot by very much. The delay of the encoding from the alsa output is just not avoidable lots of different buffers and latency in internet radio and icecast is not designed for low latency but stability.

Dear Dr. Oehlrich,

I wonder if a Turntable with USB-Output like my TEAC TN400-BT can connected to RooExtend directly.

Thank you for your great Products.

1 Like

The main attraction for me is the ability to airplay to my Roon (and its DSP).

It also airplay enables 2 of my Bluesound devices.

It’s nice the way you only have to choose rooExtend as the airplay option on my phone and Roon automatically starts the rooExtend “radio”.

One question, when I stop the output from my iPhone (and select phone again in my iPhone as the output) Roon still shows that a stream is playing and DSP is still being applied at a cost to the server (processing speed)

Is it just part of the process that one must manually stop the radio stream?

I would be worried about Roon playing for hours (or days) if I forget to manually stop rooExtend so it would be good if it could be automated.

.sjb

1 Like

No Sir, programmed all by myself but the FLAC encoder :+1:t2:
And there is nearly no buffering as node.js supports streams natively :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice work then.

1 Like

If the USB output is audio class 2 compliant you should be able to use it :+1:t2:

Currently you must press Stop on Roon. It is decoupled a bit as until now I was not able to have control over the iPhone but now I am. In the next release this will be fixed and you also will be able to control Roon volume with the slider at the iPhone :+1:t2:

Edit: and volume will then work without the 10s delay :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

I use Roon with Acourate filters so this sounds interesting - I’ve been looking for something like this.

Just interested in connecting a turntable into Roon:

1. Android phone as remote control…I guess I can still install your software and run it on the PC that has Roon? And just manage volume from my phone

2. I use an ADC/DAC card (Lynx Hilo). Do I need a phono pre or can I feed the turntable output into the Hilo analog input and convolve a RIIA filter in the DSP?

Thank you!
Horacio

Roon + DSP plus Turntable, yes :+1:

Please visit my homepage at https://rooextend.com. There you find a link to rooExtend and further informations and links you need to install it. Also a links to my instruction videos are provided there.

You need a Raspberry Pi as my SD-Card only runs on this hardware and the DAC/ADC must be USB audio class 2 compatible. I don’t know if the Hilo is, please check the manual.

Edit:
I googeled a bit. The USB version of the Hilo seams to be audio class2 compilant :grinning:
Connecting the Hilo to the Raspberry allows you to use rooExtend as a Roon Playback device and an ADC for the turntable at the same time.
This means rooExtend and Hilo is a complete audio solution for Playback via Roon and turntable support on the input side. No more PC necessary.

Save the planet by less power consumption while music listening :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Best DrCWO

Please help me to improve support rooPlay users!

I kindly ask the users of rooPlay to support me with the following information regarding their USB ADC/DACs. I like to start a list of supported ADCs so new users can see what devices have been tested by the community with success.

• Manufacturer of your USB ADAC/DAC
  • Type of the Device
  • Has the device an ADC
  • Has the device a phono pre
  • Does the ADC work with rooPlay
  • Has the device an DAC
  • Up to what samplerate and bit depth can it be used as input device with rooPlay
  • Up to what samplerate and bit depth can it be used as playback device with Roon

Your input may look like this:

• Behringer
  • UFO202
  • ADC: Yes
  • Phono: Yes
  • ADC Works with rooPlay: Yes
  • DAC: Yes
  • Input: 16/48
  • Playback: 16/48

As far as the list is filled up a bit I will publish it in the download area and supply a link here.

Best DrCWO

To me the ideal solution to the annoying 10s delay seems to be an update by Roon with a new “rooPlay” option. It could be implemented as a new line in the main menu under “Browse”. The setup “behind the scenes” in Roon could then handle the nice work you have made as an integrated part of Roon with a much smaller buffer causing only a slight delay. I really hope the Roon people will see the potential in this new feature.

It’s not exactly new, Roon entry points has been around for some time and does the same thing with more features and supports Pi HATs with ADC. I tried it with a Hifiberry HAT but the quality of ADC conversion wasn’t great at all.

1 Like

RooPlay sounds really interesting for streaming from my iPhone to my Roon setup. But am I right in understanding that it will not work with my setup – Roon installed on a Mac and streaming via Ethernet directly to a Matrix Audio Element X, ie no Raspberry Pi involved?

You need a Pi to run rooPlay.