Ropiee (2024.1.1) only works with Airplay 1 'forced'

I upgraded to the 24.1.1 version of ROPIEEE (no more XL, I guess). The only way I could make Airplay visible in Roon (or from my mac/iphone) was to ‘force’ Airplay version 1. Is that Roon incompatibility? Or could it be something in my router or network?

version 20240110.1292

As I understand it, Roon only supports Airplay 1.0.

I don’t use Airplay (or Apple devices) so it’s not something that I am familiar with - but I have read this on these forums multiple times.

1 Like

I believe this is intentional by Roon (and/or Ropiee) as AirPlay 2 downsamples audio to AAC 256. Ie. Lossy.

It’s all a bit confusing. If you search these forums for AirPlay you’ll find some links explaining this in more detail but generally as long as either the sending or receiving device uses AirPlay 1 the signal will remain “lossless”. I’m using scare quotes here as some would debate whether it’s truly lossless but let’s not.

after switching AirPlay type and restarting RoPieee, i had to re-enable RoPieee as an AirPlay receiver in Roon audio settings before it showed as an available output

(it’s not a compatibility issue … AirPlay 2 receivers can handle either type of AirPlay stream)

This isn’t exactly true at all.

Both Airplay and Airplay 2 can handle lossless up to 44.1/16. On Airplay 2 it’s down the app that determines what Airplay does. Airplay 2 has 2 modes of streaming audio, Realtime which is how Airplay1 worked or using Low Latency. The latter uses AAC as it’s designed for stable mulitroom usage from a mobile device. As airplay relies on the source device to send out the stream having a small mobile device to handle this to many endpoints is taxing for the phone and likely not very stable in general given people’s poor WiFi setups. Reducing to aac makes sense in this scenario.

The app developer can decide to use realtime or low latency it’s up to them. Both work with multiroom the same just one will likely be more prone to drop outs and disconnects etc. Qobuz uses realtime still, Apple Music uses low latency.

Thanks for that.
It’s considerably more concise and comprehensible than other explanations I’ve seen.

1 Like

I thought he had given the option to use either Airplay or Airplay 2 in the latest release that’s what the switch is for. This allows lossless Airplay of Apple Music to it as you only get aac via Airplay 2, othe apps also do the same. It should still work for Roon either way though.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with Ropieee. This is enabling the pi to be an Airplay receiver it can be either.

I’ve now installed this in my apartment (the prior was in a weekend home). Same issue - Roon won’t see it in device listings unless I check “force Airplay 1”.

Just as a matter of interest, why are you looking to use Airplay on the Ropiee endpoint? Is it because you want to group it with other airplay endpoints?

If not, you might be better to use the Ropiee ‘Roon Ready’ endpoint (using RAAT) rather than the Airplay one.

Of course this would not solve the inability to see the Airplay device from your mac/iphone.

Forgive my naiveté but does this mean when Ropieee is fully merged with the XL version it’ll function as an Airplay device?

RoPieeeXL has Airplay support for quite some time now. And yes, with that it is possible to act like an Airplay device.

If your RoPieee unit will be upgraded to XL you will get that functionality for free.

This thread is about the difference between AP1 and AP2 (because they behave differently), which has lead to a switch in RoPieeXL so the user can choose which version is preferable.

Thanks

Want to group with Sonos, and allow visitors to use my system without learning or downloading Roon. Sonos doesn’t seem to group with RAAT.

1 Like

But its all just ROPIEEE now, isn’t it? It has the services tab, but there’s no separate XL download anymore, AFAICT.

Incidentally, my iPhone (15 Pro) and iPad don’t see it either, unless I force v.1.

Just updated and I can see and play to Airplay from Roon without the switch to Airplay 1. So this is unique to your setup. It works for all other apps and phone sees it normally.

when you tried switching RoPieee to AirPlay 2 mode, did you also go into Roon Settings > Audio and enable RoPieee (ShairportSync) via AirPlay in the “Other network devices” section?

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 4.47.58 PM

if this option isn’t showing in Roon settings, or if it’s already enabled, then agree with @Simon_Arnold3 there might be something unique to your setup, in which case sending feedback/logs might help

Yes, I had done that. Anyway, I reconfigured and tried again. This time (in my NY system - ubiquiti amplifi router) and rebooted everything. Roon sees the endpoint, but it won’t play anything. I switch back forcing to version 1 - everything works. I suppose no harm done staying on 1, but I think the 2 compatibility is buggy.

The switch is the other way around. AP 2 has been working for quite some time now, it’s AP 1 that has been added.

huh. I’m not familiar with the difference, but it only works seemlessly if I force to 1. I didn’t have any airplay gremlins with the old ROPIEEXL, tho. And it seems like you supposedly need 2 to work with new iphones, although I’m seeing it right now on an iPhone 15 (but that worked before without forcing).