RoPieee as dummy / silent endpoint?

Forgive me if this has been asked. My search on the community did not provide an answer to my question.

My use case is the following:
I have multiple Roon Ready endpoints around the house. I typically play to a single endpoint, or to a number of grouped endpoints. When moving around the house, I often want my music to move with me. Transferring playback from one endpoint to another works fine, but when I stop playback for some time, and resume in another room, I sometimes forget where I left off, and therefore end up playing something that was recently played as a result of a transfer.
Hence my idea: setup a silent endpoint. This endpoint would not actually have an audible output, but purely serve as the one an only “master” queue. Depending on where I am at, I could then simply add or remove the endpoint of my choice to a group.

Does such a setup make sense? Would RoPieee on a Raspberry Pi work for this? Would it work without an actual USB DAC or HAT on the Pi, or would I need to add a cheap DAC in order for RoPieee to be recognized?

You would need a HAT / USB DAC, but it would work.

But if you have a ROCK or an other machine with HDMI ports would could enable an endpoint there.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying and providing alternative options Greg.
I’m running Roon Server on a NAS, so no HDMI.
A cheap HAT won’t break the bank.
Good to know that the idea would work.

… if you go with DietPi or RPi-OS and install Roon bridge, yes!

1 Like