RoPieee Beginner's Guide

Yep, that’s the way I have it configured. In RoPieeeXL, you tell the display which zone you want it to display/control. It is not in the audio path at all. The display will revert to a digital clock display when you’re not playing anything in the zone.

Thank you VERY much Steve, much appreciated mate!

1 Like

Except the 7 inch screen on the Raspberry Pi might be too far away and too small for you to see. That’s why I prefer just looking at my iPad or laptop control device for the visuals.

Hmmmm, that’s a valid point so if need be, I’ll use one RPi combo on wifi for display only near my seating position, possibly a USBridge Signature (Shanti powered) for streaming to a DAC. Roon control via iPad.

Where is your iPad located? Mine is on a table next to my recliner and all I need to see what’s playing.

It’s not the location of the iPad thats the issue. My wife and I just find it enjoyable to be able to glance over at an always on display as we go about our day, to note the name of a track or artist. It’s simply a convenience, not a necessity…1st world problems :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Agreed- Also, sometimes I may be leaving the room and would like to pause the audio and it’s very easy to walk by the display and hit pause without opening the Roon app on my phone or iPad and toggling play there. At least, that’s a real feature for me.

Yep, second that eg. if the phone rings and you want to stop the current track playing.

The display in place showing the clock:

and here’s the album art display. You can see the Flirc dongle attached at the upper left.

1 Like

Thats sweet! But wait there’s more…get a free clock and calendar with each purchase hahaha. Nice one mate:+1: The display looks to be pretty legible for track and artist too.

Yep, a bit overblown in that pic, but I can read it across my smallish room. Here’s the case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HV97F64/

Thanks Steve, nice looking case but doesn’t ship out to Singapore though should be easy to find similar from China.

1 Like

Note, not compatible with Pi 4.

2 Likes

As my PI+ALLO BOSS DAC + Nirvana power supply is being FedExed to arrive on Monday for my Headphone Roon end point I went searching for my next steps. And you’ve delivered. Thank you, Nathan.
Will let you know how I go using your guide to get me up and running.
Regards from lockdown, Melbourne, Australia
Peter Lawson

1 Like

Basic question: do I need to set up my RPi first before installing RoPieee?

I have a RPi 4 with a Hifiberry Digi+.
I put it together this afternoon but can’t get the beast to work. … Something about checking for upgrades/

Download RoPieee or RoPieeeXL and burn to micro SD card.
Insert micro SD card into RPi4, connect to ethernet, connect power supply.
Let RoPieee do it’s thing. It will reboot a time or two.
Find RPi4 IP address by looking at your router or using Fing app.
Go into RoPieee setup and make appropriate choices.
Setup WIFI if desired. Save and reboot.
Disconnect ethernet if you prefer to use WIFI.
Go into Roon and setup your RPi4 end-point with DAC HAT installed and running.
I think it will appear as Hifiberry or similiar in Roon.
Mine (2) show up as Dragonfly and Meridian Prime.

1 Like

keep in mind: network connection is required during installation.

1 Like

When in the entire process should he install the DAC HAT?

When the unit is installed you can access the webinterface. That’s when you select the HAT.
Reboot and done.

2 Likes

Do you mean physically attach the HAT to the RPi? - If so, then do this before you insert the SD card into the RPi…

2 Likes