Ropieee: device reboots but update not taking effect

Hi folks,

I recently had to check on my Ropieee unit and noticed that an update was available.

I click the update and the device reboots. After reboot it works fine, shows up in Roon etc., except the update doesn’t seem to have actually taken place. Notice to update is still there, version number is still 2023.11 (1170).

Update is to 2024.02.0. Device is a RPi 4b. Feedback number a432760b4ce4f286

Any suggestions?

So it does reboot directly? There’isn’t a screen telling you that the update is being installed?
Because your logs show indeed that the update is downloaded, but not that it is actually installed.

Actually, I do see the “device is being updated” screen with the warning to not turn it off etc., followed by the “wrapping up” screen and finally “initializing”.

I usually don’t stick around to wait during an update so I wasn’t sure, but I just went through all the screens mentioned above with the same net result. I hit “send feedback” again to be sure I did not miss something last time: bd2e61a04c35aae5

Hmmm… still unclear what’s happening. Everything looks ok, except that I don’t see anything in the logs suggesting you started the installation… I’m wondering if the SSD card is screwed…

Is there another way for me to trigger the update than the blue bar that shows up at the top of the screen? E.g. can I ssh in and trigger it? Just to see if it fails to start all together.

You could try to enable auto-update (on the advanced tab).
After that choose reboot (also in the advanced tab) and it will force installing the update.

1 Like

I’ve turned on auto-update, hit apply, reboot. Device just reboots but no update happens.

Weirdly, auto-update is also turned off again after reboot. Scratching my head over here… It’s like no changes take effect anymore?

Just to see if other changes would take effect I switched to the beta update channel. I got a notification that I needed to configure. After configure I was told to reboot. Did that too and… settings back to stable channel after reboot.

Is this where we decide it’s probably the SD card?

Yes, I think so, unfortunately.

I’ll pick up a new one this afternoon. Thanks for the help Harry!

1 Like