Ropieee Hardware Recomendation

I’m a longtime Roon user (since 2017) but new to Ropieee.
Currently running ROCK on a dedicated NUC11, with 5,000+ albums.

My current challenge is getting Multichannel recordings to play on my Marantz AV10 processor via HDMI
I want to try a Ropieee endpoint, but I’m confused by the hardware choices.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

When you say mult-channel recordings can you provide a bit more info on those and how they were encoded or ripped and now reside within your Roon media. The RoPieee on the RPI will allow a multitude of HAT’s you will need to decide whether Optical or Coax out as you choice to connect to your receiver.

1 Like

All the multichannel files are in FLAC, with the majority being 5.1 channels, 48 or 88.2 kHz and a 16 or 24bit depth.
All music is stored on a Synology NAS connected to the Intel NUC11 ROCK
My Marantz AV10 is seen as an endpoint, but the Airplay connection forces Roon to convert to Stereo.

My connection preference is HDMI, but the AV10 will support optical and USB.

Hope that helps.

… that’s because AirPlay is stereo only … afaik

1 Like

Um - I don’t think a Ropieee installation will deliver multichannel audio via HDMI.

Paging @spockfish

2 Likes

Is there some reason why you can’t connect your ROCK/NUC via HDMI to the Marantz? I connect mine to my Denon AVR via HDMI to play my multichannel albums.

Good question. I tried that and could only get down-converted stereo. There are discussions about different drivers and BIOS settings for NUC audio, but the ROCK works and I don’t want to screw it up :slight_smile:

You don’t need to worry about different drivers or BIOS settings - it’s only a question of the correct device settings in Roon, in particular in the Advanced settings section, where you set the channel layout:

2 Likes

That did it!
I can’t believe that I missed that setting.

Listening to Peter Gabiel i/o in 7.1 now. Wonderful.

2 Likes