RoPieee is (not) RUNNING (but now is — should have waited longer)

@spockfish, Harry: all three of my displays are hung at “RoPieee is RUNNING”, but are not seen by Roon Core. (Previously all 3 working fine.)

I have tried rebooting all.

73d8e57de0f0bdc8
18c487b0e8e5ae03

Obviously I didn’t wait long enough. Eventually the familiar “Enable the extension” appeared (after perhaps 20 minutes). I enabled it in the Roon settings, and things seem back to normal.

Yeah sorry for that. You’ve been bitten by a bug that popped up yesterday. It required me releasing a quick update.

Harry, I’m setting up my first RoPieee. I’ve searched for an FAQ or other but have yet to find the solution to my issue.

I’ve imaged a 16GB flash using Etcher on Mac, using the most recent Oct 28th image.

I’m using a Pi2 I believe, could be a 3, it’s ~4 years old. I’ve tried booting with and without Ethernet connection, same result, the green LED blinks 7 times, waits a 2 count, then blinks 7 times. This continues, I’ve left it more than 12 hours. No change.

Roon does not see RoPieee and I cannot find that the Pi has dhcp’d an address o my network.

Please advise or point me to the FAQ,

Thanks for your work

@Larry_Post,

I am not sure at what stage the HDMI output is disabled, but it might be worthwhile to attach a screen to see if there is any information displayed. I also recall that some people have had issues historically with large SD cards, so if you have a 4g or 8g try one of those.

Thanks, display just shows the color array, Pi never boots. I’ve just imaged an 8GB and no change. I’m now trying a 2GB (the getting started page says minimum 4GB) and will see. I suspect my Pi is dead but I’ve used it recently with another setup running Linux. Will have to find that and test.

A search turned up: 7 Blinks means that kernel.img isn’t found. Is the card bad, the image bad or Etcher bad?

Thanks for the help

Another test that you can do is create another image (like DietPi) and see if it boots. Then, re-download RoPiee and re-image the 8g.

Hi @Larry_Post,

Etcher is not bad, nor should the image. Have you already tried a simple reflash? Preferably on a different card…

Regards Harry

Yes, I’ve tried 3 different cards and tried on 2 different PCs (a Macbook and Windows 7). I’ve downloaded the latest image again, no change, kernel not found.

I’ve just imaged using OSMC (a media center app) and it’s booting normally. Same 8GB card, etc. I should note, Etcher images and verifies successfully each time I’ve tried.

Ethernet needs to be connected on the initial boot. I know you said you booted with and without, but did you boot with ethernet connected on the initial boot (freshly imaged card) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes?

@bearFNF , yes, I’ve left Ethernet connected for all tests today. Previously I had not as it was not indicated as needed…only power.

I’m re-downloading the image again, the dl rate is rather/very slow (I’m betting Harry foots the ISP bill, thank you!),

Now that I know the Pi is working, Etcher is working, it seems to be the image. @spockfish, do you have the previous version available for me to test?

yeah pick the previous one from here: http://image.ropieee.org/

So… what browser are you using to download the image?

@spockfish up to date Chrome on Mac and Windows, I’m just finishing imaging Oct 28th one more time, than I’ll try the previous,

Thanks

ok that’s not it. We had some issues with Internet Explorer, but Chrome should be fine.

4 GB is required though. Please test the previous one, the image is being updated on installation.

@spockfish No luck, Oct 2nd image behaves the same as Oct 28th for me. I’ll try the Sept 14th but then I’m out of time for now…

Unfortunately, Sept 14th behaves the same. I’m open to try other older builds or newer if you have ideas of why it’s not booting.

This is weird. Extremely weird…

@spockfish

I just successfully imaged and booted DietPi without issue. Not sure I want to bother with learning how to set it up for Roon though. I really wish I could get RoPieee to boot!

He @Larry_Post,

Sorry for the late reply. I was still at work.

So… we now know for sure it’s not your Pi. I can’t understand why the images don’t work.
Is there a way I can send you a private image? One that I bake fresh and test?

Regards,

@spockfish

Do you want to just give it a unique name and put it in your images folder?

I appreciate the effort

I had some time to get DietPi configured, I completed all the prerequisites for RoonBridge…however there is no package for RPi B+ (armv6l) only arm7 and arm8.

Perhaps this is the problem with RoPieee as well?

Oh! You’re running a Raspberry Pi from the first generation!
That’s not supported by RoPieee, so yeah that’s the problem for sure.

Sorry about that. Could have known that after reading your first post. Totally overlooked that one…

Note: I’ll add this limitation to the website.