RoPieee Not Detecting Wifi

Hey all,

I just put together a RPi4 Model B, 4gb RAM with a 32g b SD card with a HifiBerry Digi2 Pro HAT. Initial set up seemed to work and Roon sees it as an endpoint, but I cannot get it to detect wifi. It endlessly scans.

It also doesn’t seem to want to send feedback either, and I’m stuck with this message.

I’ve flashed it 3 times, once with different SD card, and nothing changes. Rebooted from the web interface and by disconnecting power without success. I’m sure I missed something, but could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

1 Like

Interestingly I’m having the same behavior with a Rpi4 that is already using Wifi fine, but I’m unable to scan for other SSIDs (I was trying to switch to test WPA3)

I’m not an expert on the RoPieee OS, so I may not be accurate in my assumptions.
Have you tried a non-ropieee distribution for the raspi to see if that works on wifi? If you have, then you’ve got two possibilities. Either the onboard wifi is shot, or youre running a wifi network with WPA3. Last time i checked (recently enough, but not within the last 3 months) mainline debian builds for the raspi did not include WPA3 support, and required custom compiling to get WPA3 networks working.

@James_Fitzell I dont believe WPA3 support is official on the raspi yet.

Just for giggles, you could also try if it works with HIFI Berry OS.

That’s weird and should not happen. Which browser are you using?

RoPieee does not use and is not based on Debian (Raspi).

i understand this, however latest debian (should be more cutting edge than ropieee in terms of firmware/features) does not support WPA3, which is why I mentioned it.

lmk if you can scan and connect to a WPA3 network though. I’d be interested if ropieee devs bothered to custom compile wpa3 support in their software.

He @Nick_Lukens,

I’m looking at it more closely, and I see there’s a bug in the webinterface :frowning:
I’m going to fix this asap, so if you can live this for for a day or so then this will be fixed.

Thanks (and sorry :wink: )

1 Like

Where do you get this idea?

RoPieee runs the same firmware version (and in most cases, the newer one) and is not based on Debian.

And yes, RoPieee supports WPA3 on the Pi3 and Pi4.

1 Like

Hi @Nick_Lukens

I’ll prepare a hotfix for you. This will be ready in a few hours that fixes your issue.
I’ll let you know when it’s available and what you need to do.

Thanks

1 Like

I get this idea from the likelihood that distributions base themselves on debian.

Theres also a tendency for smaller distros (as measured from number of devs) to not custom compile, and instead wait on upstream fixes.

As stated in my initial response, im not an expert on ropieee, and could be inaccurate in my assumptions.

Good to know so I dont mention possible lack of WPA3 support in the future when seeing raspis with wifi issues that are running ropieee. Looks like @James_Fitzell might need some assistance getting his RPI4 on RoPieee connecting to a WPA3 network though (assuming hes running ropieee to begin with).

1 Like

Hi @Nick_Lukens

I’ve released a hot fix. If you reboot your unit it will automatically repair and you will be able to scan wifi (and send me feedback).

This should fix your issue, please let me know how it goes.

Thanks

1 Like

RoPieee is custom build and not based on a regular distribution.

RoPieee is compiled from scratch. This brings the advantage that I’m in total control which version of a specific software package is included.

With respect to the kernel: RoPieee has a custom kernel which applies patches on top of the Raspberry Pi kernel.

Thanks

2 Likes

@spockfish The hot fix worked! I’m up and streaming on wifi without issue. Thanks for the quick turn around on this, donation incoming. Thanks to everyone here for troublshooting!

3 Likes

I check both channel Stable and Beta and right now WiFi was scanning and RoPieee found a few SSID. So maybe this issue exist only in some device?

@spockfish You wrote about some hot fix. You push them to all device with RoPieee or only to @Nick_Lukens device?

Regards

Hotfixes are available for everyone.

1 Like

This update change version number? This is beta or stable version hot fix?

Hotfixes do not change the version number. They are pushed to the devices automatically when being rebooted and are done in the background. This one targets bot beta and stable.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hard work.

I have the same problem with a RP zero W 2. I can connect via a wired interface and all seems fine but get an error trying to enable the wifi interface. WiFi was working on the previous releases. I cannot go back to an earlier release to confirm that there is no hardware issue on my RP Zero W 2, but I’ll guess its unlikely given an enjoyable listening session last night.

Yes, yes I know but strange situation that Appears new version of update with lower numer so I ask You it’s ok and should update RoPiee or nevermind :wink: