I have really been enjoying listening to music through Ropieee using my Topping D10 DAC connected via RCA to my JDS Labs Element. I wanted to try using it directly into the Element’s DAC, but nothing I do will get it to work. It shows up in Roon twice for some reason, the second entry having “#1” on the end of the description and no bit rate settings. When I go to play something using either of the entries, it just gives me the message “Roon lost control of the audio device”. The Element is supposed to not require any drivers in Linux, so I’m not sure what the problem is. It does work fine in Roon connected to my MacBook Pro or iPad. I would greatly appreciate your help with this!
The USB input is “Audio Type 1” so it is old and limited to 96k.
But that doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t work at all, does it?
Sure, you mean from the Ropieee web interface?
yes, after some action with playing etc.
I just connected it again, and for some reason it’s working this time. However, when I try to access the device setup from the speaker icon in the lower right corner of Roon, it loses the connection again. I have sent feedback as 6330bb3bfd7b3ce7.
Thank you for the help!
I see quite some errors on the USB bus.
To me it looks like the DAC is not ‘behaving properly’ as a UAC device, hence the issues.
I found this too, I tried adding my v1 Element to my Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee XL in our bedroom and it always failed to play from Roon. Funny thing is Spotify Connect vi Ropieee would play faultlessly to it and so would airplay. It’s was just if Roon was trying to control it would it wig out.
I then tested it with Volumio and it wigged out just like Roon. Not sure what these are doing that the Spotify Connect plugin doesn’t but it resulted in abject failure. So the Element is now on my PC in the study working fully enough perfectly with Roon.
My newer JDS Labs El Dac II’s work perfectly with Ropieee + Roon so that’s the main things for me.