Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

ok
alsamixer -c DAC

Now the volume is very low again once I entered alsamixer and I can not change values. Nothing seems to work

[root@ropieee ~]
# alsactl restore DAC
alsactl: set_control:1461: Cannot write control '2:0:0:Digital Playback 
Volume:0' : Remote I/O error

EDIT:
Another finding is that to get the sound back I need to select different card(no matter which) following reboots. Ten select I-Sabre DAC back. This seems to fix the sound. But it seems its not permanent as this may get ‘mute/quiet’ in some time again.

What you can try is switch back to the RPI-DAC generic driver.

@spockfish
No sound at all when I changed to RPI DAC

Now when the sound is low/quiet, I check the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state the value is set to 68 for DAC

So changing the value manually to 100 fix the sound

Now you enter alsamixer and try change volume from within, sound level drop instantly and you are stuck on it. You can not do anything until you manually edit asound.state file again and reboot

I have no clue what is going on here and why this is happening

this is extremely weird…

So, after you changed the volume to 100, and then reboot, what happens then with the volume?

After that sound is OK, play as it should.
But if you try check settings in alsamixer a ssoonas you try alter volume within it, its going quiet and you can not.do anything

I get vertical lines on the display after the first reboot of the installation.
Sent logs with id e275784d3eeff436.

Cheers,
Mats

Got the display working by setting rp_touchscreen_detected=1 in /etc/ropieee.conf

Mats

So as nothing was really helping and making sense anymore I have decided to try the following
I have manually changed value in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state where I put 100
After I saved it I have changed permissions to ’read only’ for this file

So far so good, but need to test it more

Ok keep me posted. I’m still puzzled though.

Does this not result in the volume being maxed out on a startup?

It looks that this workaround solved my problem. Many reboots since, different music formats played from different sources and the sound is not altered.
So locking the file helped.

Regarding the sound, I do not alter sound on software or hardware level in withing the device(RaspDAC Mini(RPi+DAC)). Volume is set to ’Fixed’
I regulate volume purely on my amplifier level

ok.

So the situation is as follows:

• you have the volume set to fixed in Roon.
  • somehow during playing the volume is being altered
  • this can be fixed by ‘locking’ the volume to 100.

Right?

Yes that is exactly what was happening

After that happened alsamixer looked like on pictures I posted earlier. Looked like on level ’28’.

But when you checked the value in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file, there was ’68’.

For anyone not daring to read through this whole thread: Can someone confirm the following (or else indicate it is under debate):

A) Ropieee runs on RPi 4.
B) The RPi4 USB-Out is a significant SQ improvement over the RPi3(+) USB-Out.
C) When the RPi4 USB-Out is fed into a DAC, the resulting SQ is comparable or better than the SQ of the RPi3 with attached DAC-hat and RCA outs.

Of course, point C would depend on the exact external DAC vs. the exact DAC-Hat you are using.

Thanks a lot!

A) yes
B) no
C) comparable

A) yes
B) yes
c) comparable

Thanks a lot! So apparently, B) is in fact under debate :slight_smile: That is to say, while some consider the RPi4 USB output a sonic improvement over the RPi 3(+), others don’t. Did anyone here get the chance to do an A/B?

Sure did. When using the usb on Pi3 and HiRez 96khz and up it would give intermttent ticks, distortion due to throughput I would assume. With the Pi4 using the usb 3 port this all vanished. I ave been using a Pi4 as a NAA for Roon/HQPlayer upsampled to 768khz poly-sinc-long-lp with no sonic issues to my ears anyway. This was impossible with the Pi3.

1 Like

Hi @rikardo1979

So installed this into my RaspDAC Mini which has the ES9038Q2M DAC HAT.

How did you manage to change to Rpi4?
Change the case of the RaspDac also ?

Thx