Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

Good to hear! I have a couple of 4’s at home (2Gb model) and have been wondering whether to upgrade my 3+, but I don’t think I will unless there’s a sound or performance gain to be had (using wireless and Allo DigiOne Signature, though I’m planning to move over to wired ethernet soon). Looking forward to hearing reports from early advocates, or I may become one if I get some spare time…

thanks, that explains it… you are still running the old kernel and firmware.

4.19.56 is the version that fully supports the RPi 4B, but it’s not compatible with Roon at this time.

You wont be able to take full advantage of the RPi 4B, but as long as you dont update the kernel or firmware yet - you will be fine.

On another note, the device volume setting just enables/disables digital volume control. the volume leveling setting is under DSP.

I installed this patch out of curiosity and I see that the temperature gently decreased by about 3-4 degrees Cel.

dont install it unless you are using a hat… it breaks usb when using roon.

Is this new firmware necessary if you’re only using it as a Roon endpoint? I can’t imagine that kind of usage will push the processor to the extent that it will overheat and throttle.

I think it is important if you use USB for audio output. See the artikel in a reply above from @xxx.

I interpreted that as:

• the stock firmware tends to overheat when pushed to its limits but USB is working fine
  • new firmware solves the overheating problem but has an issue with USB in regard to Roon

So my question was: if you use the stock firmware, and only use it as a Roon endpoint (which hardly can be called ‘sustained load’ ), you might not have a problem?

1 Like

Poeh…

Running DSD256 for a while now, doing 60 degrees.
So far impressed. I’l release a beta image tomorrow, so we can test it with a broader group.

And yeah, this is without the new USB firmware. If the fallout of that issue is resolved I’ll add stuff to RoPieee so it’s updated automatically.

Thanks,

1 Like

Ok, couldn’t help my self. Here’s the beta!

A few remarks:

• this is based on the beta channel, so you’re warned :wink:
  • USB is tested, HAT not (I did not had the time to test that)
  • WiFi is not tested
  • this image only supports the Pi 4. It will not boot on a Pi 2/3.

Enjoy, and let me know if anything pops up. I’ll be off until tomorrow, so don’t expect a quick response :wink:

Thanks!

http://image.ropieee.org/20190705-ropieee-ose_rpi4-beta.bin

2 Likes

Its working! USB audio out–>Chord 2Qute

1 Like

Working here as well (got my Pi 4 1GB yesterday all the way from England), USB audio out -> Fiio Q1 and -> iFi nano iDSD BL.

Looking forward to having WiFi working as well! (right now it doesn’t even show up, so guessing drivers are not compiled yet?)

Great job thank @spockfish :+1:

Hi,
I have just installed and it is working here as well.
I have installed this new usb firmware as well, but it is working just fine. Btw, it is possible to revert to older firmware if problems surface (the old firmware is in the zip which the Raspberry Foundation has published).

Wow, great work Harry! Will try it immediately!

Working fine with RME ADI2 DAC so far. Yay! DSD256 without a glitch or dropout, 63 degrees.

1 Like

FYI… Im still testing, but this mornings prerelease firmware update seems to fix the USB problem.

1 Like

I was thinking of mounting my touch screen this weekend. Can I assume that future updates will be done via Ropieee itself or will it take a reflash of the sd card? I guess if a reflash is needed, I probably better wait for the final release? (taking out the card after the screen is installed is maybe difficult? Never done it before).

no, i’ll push future updates. when the final release is there you can switch to the stable channel in the web interface. no need for reflashing :grin:

Cool!

My Raspi is now 63 degrees. Still not sure whether this is a bad thing. The past week I bought 3 Raspi’s (two 3’s, one 4) and I didn’t expect to have fully operational streaming devices already (easy on the wallet too!). I expected a long learning curve, but Ropieee made it so easy. Thank you, Harry! One of the 3’s has a Digiberry Hifi+ (my bed room device, no USB dac, SPDIF only), the 4 is now streaming in my living room. As soon as the screen is attached, my Squeezeboxes can retire.

the 63 is fine. i expect over time we’ll be able to run it a little bit cooler though.

OK, that’s comforting. When reading Archimago’s blog, I got the impression that for streaming underclocking doesn’t hurt. Maybe a good way to keep the temperature lower too? Especially with the 4, as it’s quite powerful, and streaming doesn’t seem to need lots of processor power. I’m guessing here, very new to this thing.