RoPieee unreachable although still connected to network

Hi,

I am so far unable to get a stable setup for two of my 4 RoPieee streamers. After a while (typically 2-3 days), the IP address becomes unreachable, even though it is clearly still connected to my network:

The only way I know how to fix this is to simply pull the power chord from the RPi and put it back in. And then it is just a matter of time before it goes off radar again. I was not planning on making that my default process. :slight_smile:

A curious thing I just noticed: from the streamer which has the issue, I am unable to send feedback. It tells me that it failed due to firewall or connection issues. For the other streamers, this works fine.

Has anybody experienced similar behaviour or have an idea what the issue could be?

Thanks.

fwiw, feedback for one of the working streamers, they are all set up similarly:
19d1ee38bfa1ea34

Hi,

First of all I suggest you disable some services that are not working:

• Spotify (your credentials are not correct)
  • Plexamp (because you did not claimed it)

These failing services clutter up the logs.

Now, in general I would say that this is a network issue. Not sure what it is (as I don’t have the logs of the failing unit), but that’s my guess.

On this unit I also see a rare combination of a static wired setup, and on top of that a wireless setup. Where the static IP address is the same as given to the wifi interface…

So: if you go wireless only (and I think so as no cable attached), simply but the wired interface on dhcp.

Not saying this is the issue, but simplifying your setup makes it easier to look for problems and debug stuff.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks Harry, I turned off all services and reset the interface to dhcp. Now I did manage to send feedback with the failing unit (though, of course, only before it actually fails :slight_smile: ).

b25c075974820912

I agree that it is probably a networking issue but I find it hard to pinpoint, hopefully this way I can at least rule out that is in the RoPieee setup.

You failed to mention that you use an external WiFi dongle.
I would suggest to remove that dongle; pretty sure that’s the source of the problems.

Thanks

Really? I actually bought the dongle recently, and the purchase was to fix the problem, not be the problem. The problem was definitely there “pre-dongle”, I just wanted to see if increased wifi range (with the dongle it is excellent at -45dBm) would fix it, but it did not. I also read in a thread somewhere that RoPie supports all Realtek dongles so I thought it would be fine. I’ll remove the dongle to see if the issue goes away. Thanks again for your help.

ps. it is a TP-link Archer T3U Plus, Linux driver is (I think):

I just built a Pi4b with the same dongle. It didn’t work for me. Just intermittent pops and noise. I removed the dongle and the on board wifi worked perfectly.

Because I disabled all services and removed the fixed IP, I decided to delay removing the dongle until the issue reoccurred and connection was lost again (so as to be able to rule out these settings as root cause as well). More than a week later now, I am still waiting, so it might be that one of the services or the fixed IP was causing the problem (although the setting should really only apply to a wired connection). I am not experiencing any issues with the dongle. The issue might still resurface, though, in that case I will report back here.

Did not work for me either. Removed it…

Happy to report that the issues seem to be resolved and I have now gone a month with 4 stable RoPieee endpoints, two of which including the supposedly unsupported dongle. Not really sure what the actual problem was in the end, but solving a problem outweighs identifying it. :smiley:

1 Like