RoPieee won't boot, or ... will, but then crashes or turns off ethernet or

My setup: raspberry pi 4 w/ 4GB ram + a Hifiberry digi+ I/O hat.

I wrote RoPieee to a 4GB MicroSD Card and things worked fine. On a seperate MicroSD Card I first tried moode and then Volumio. I put my 4GB RoPieee SD card back into my pi and it disappears off the network shortly after it boots.

If I plug in HDMI it gets to the screen saying “Entering Stage 3”, shows “Waiting for internet connection CONNECTED” and “Waiting for ntp synchronisation” at which point the HDMI signal goes away, the ethernet lights turn off on the Pi, and… well, nothing.

I’ve tried writing a new SD card, same thing (it got through all the kernel & install Roon bringe, before getting to stage 3 and behaving as above).

If I put my Volumio MicroSD Card back in, it boots without issue.

Is there a way to make RoPieee not turn off HDMI so I can maybe debug this?

There really isn’t anything else that is directed to console after that point, which is why HDMI is turned off.

A few things to try / check:

• Is the status LED blinking at 1/2 Hertz?
  • Check your router for the IP address… has it changed? Can you use the IP to access the web gui?
  • After a reboot, try a continuous ping from another device. Is it really true that the Ethernet connection drops?
  • Do a port scan — make sure there are no obvious duplicate IP conflicts.
  • Did you ever save a dhcp reservation in your router config? Maybe remove that to force a new IP. You always add it back.

One thing to note - Im not sure what the network device you are connect to is but the ethernet port is switched to 100Mbps mode when ropieee is active not 1Gbps and if the switch its on is not auto switching it might be a possible point of failure. Unlikely but something to check on.

• Is the status LED blinking at 1/2 Hertz?

It did, once it stops responding to pings the status light stops blinking, and the two ethernet lights also go out. The red power light stays on though.

• Check your router for the IP address… has it changed? Can you use the IP to access the web gui?

I was pinging it using ropieee.local (it doesn’t have a fixed IP), but the web gui is accessible briefly on boot.

• After a reboot, try a continuous ping from another device. Is it really true that the Ethernet connection drops?

Yep. The most recent attempt saw it up for ~1 minute, and then pings stop (Request timeout for icmp_seq 65 (and up)), and the ethernet lights go out.

• Do a port scan — make sure there are no obvious duplicate IP conflicts.

Not sure this will help - I haven’t had a single IP conflict on this network (the DHCP pool is 10.2.9.1-10.2.10.254), and when the pi stops responding the switch shows no connection either, so it’s not just the lights going out - it really has dropped off the network)

• Did you ever save a dhcp reservation in your router config? Maybe remove that to force a new IP. You always add it back.

I haven’t added a DHCP reservation for the pi (it’s brand new, arrived a few days ago), and this does not happen with Volumio or moode. (I swapped back to my Volumio MicroSD Card to be able to listen to music today)

That is… weird behaviour (why on earth would it do this? It’s just… going to cause problems), but the switch is in auto mode. I don’t see it drop to 100Mbps though (but maybe I didn’t hit refresh in the unifi controller at the right time to see it drop to 100Mbps before disappearing off the network)

I run all mine on UniFi and sime on UniFi switches and no issues. Send harry a feedback

I have just tried forcing it at the swich to 100Mbps full duplex as well, just to see if it was something weird there, and can see it managing to boot, ethernet comes up at 100Mbps and a few seconds later dies.

Request timeout for icmp_seq 53
Request timeout for icmp_seq 54
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=55 ttl=64 time=211.776 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=56 ttl=64 time=3.372 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=57 ttl=64 time=6.555 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=58 ttl=64 time=2.895 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=59 ttl=64 time=3.489 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=60 ttl=64 time=3.532 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=61 ttl=64 time=7.295 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=62 ttl=64 time=3.421 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=63 ttl=64 time=3.550 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=64 ttl=64 time=3.395 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=65 ttl=64 time=3.190 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=66 ttl=64 time=5.133 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=67 ttl=64 time=3.840 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=68 ttl=64 time=11.006 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=69 ttl=64 time=3.172 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=70 ttl=64 time=3.330 ms
64 bytes from 10.2.10.141: icmp_seq=71 ttl=64 time=4.039 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 72
Request timeout for icmp_seq 73
Request timeout for icmp_seq 74
Request timeout for icmp_seq 75

Sorry to be clueless - how do I do this? I believe there is a feedback thing in the RoPieee UI, but I’m not able to load the web interface to do that method.

Ah I see yeah yes that’s an issue

A 4gb card might not cut it

I know it is unlikely to fix your problem in light of all previous attempts, but did you try another power supply and/or corresponding USB cable?
The red status LED being on may well indicate an under-voltage condition.
If you have these available it would be worth a try…

1 Like

… do you really need such a wide dhcp pool?
How did you set the subnet mask?
and which is the router ip address?

It’s a brand new raspberry pi power supply, and is working fine with Volumio & mode.

Isn’t the red power light meant to be lit at all times?

I’m seeing the same issue on a 16GB card :frowning:

You might be right here, because I’m not on Ropieee currently, but Diet-Pi, with having disabled status and Ethernet LEDs.
In that configuration, the red status LED indicates under-voltage.

Anyway, if you’ve got alternatives around, testing doesn’t cost you more than time…

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Quinn-Graham ,

Just to be sure: you are using the latest image?

Thanks

I only downloaded it 2 days ago, and so assumed I must have the latest (I checked before posting and saw the current version was 2021/11/05) but… looking now I see the file in my downloads directory is 20210721-ropieee-ose_rpi234-stable.bin, which definitely looks like it’s not the right version, so I’ve just gone back to ropieee.org & downloaded the 20211105-.... one. I’ll try flashing it tomorrow, hopefully it’s as simple as that :grinning:

1 Like

Unfortunately it still didn’t work with the latest image - for now I’m going to put worrying about this on hold (I just setup DietPi instead) & I’ll come back to RoPieee when I have time to mess around some more over the holiday season.

Thanks for the help folks!