RoPieeeXL: beta testers wanted

Harry when enabling the xl option it gives a warning…but then (I’m just checking) one must still do the confirm right? Then wait for the reboot message?

yes, it’s just for those that are somewhat impatient. For RoPieeeXL is needs quite some software to download, so that can take some time.

With the stable release around the corner/released do I get off the beta channel?

Don’t mind keeping the beta releases and check for bugs etc

Stable release is out.

Depends on what you want. Beta channel will continue with testing on RoPieeeXL.
If RoPieeeXL is not your thing that it might be better to switch to stable.

Thanks

Don’t know what you’re talking about :partying_face:

Ropieeexl it is

Ok guys,

As this Pi 4 support is out we can get back to XL.

I’ve pushed out a (small) update that makes the beta channel up to date with release, plus an update to the lastest version of shairport.

I’m slightly thinking that we’re almost here with the XL thing as well… Thoughts?

Harry, I’ve got 3 XL going, and no issues so far. All of my comments have been cosmetic.

My son thanks you for XL, and I’ll be making another donation.

I just recently began using the beta channel when adding a new endpoint which is what tipped me off to the existence of RoPieeeXL once I saw shairport-sync running. :slight_smile: I was poking around attempting to add Spotify Connect (which I documented here). Considering the hardest part of getting spotifyd working was simply determining the correct ALSA device name, something it appears you need to do for shairport-sync as well based on the config you’re generating, what are the odds of spotifyd/Spotify Connect coming to RoPieeeXL sometime soon?

As an aside, I see you are limiting hostname characters to [A-Za-z0-9]+ - is there any reason you’re not allowing hyphens as well? Technically a hostname cannot start with a hyphen, but [A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9-]+ should do the trick!

Thanks for the incredible work on this beautiful, stable OS! I loved my first one so much I’ve started adding more. :smile:

Will it have better support for my Flirc usb for the remote? I’m dying for it :slight_smile:

I know RoPieeeXL is officially released now @spockfish (and you’re surely busy with that), but rather than cross post the above into that release thread, any chance I could get a response regarding my questions on spotifyd and hostname here? Wasn’t sure if you’d see it over here anymore. :slight_smile: Thank you again for all of your work on this!

Yeah the hyphen part is good catch. I’ll add this to the list, as it a legitimate character in hostnames.

With respect to Spotify I’m wondering if you read my first post here :wink: As stated, Spotify will come as soon as it is finished.

Thanks

1 Like

:+1::star_struck::grimacing:

Ha! I had read it but clearly missed the plea. :laughing: I wasn’t trying to be pushy anyway, I was just personally surprised by how easy it was in the end (and has been stable for me!) and so got excited at the thought of squeezing it in sooner than later. :smile: Thanks again for your dedicated efforts!

don’t know if it depends on the gear but when im updating I get a serious 1khz beep. (edit it occurred the last 3 times or more I think)
maybe I should turn off my dad first, but that’s kinda annoying, in a perfect world I should be able to keep everything running :grinning:

very happy with ropieee(xl makes my wife use my systems more, the jury is still out if that’s a good thing :rofl:) a donation is on the way!

So… not sure how many of you have been hanging around here on the beta channel…

But for those: Spotify support has landed :shushing_face:

Let’s test this for a few days and then we can release it.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thumbs up !
Works with Spotify connect.
I use a Raspberry 4 with Hifi Berry Dac Plus.

And there was a loud cheers… guess the F1 summer break has some other benefits :smiley:

1 Like

The Spotify connection is not stable.
Comes and goes away.
I tested against the newest Volumio and their connection is stable.
see here: identifier c42ba6345bb72ceb

I have like 7-8 XL all running and Spotify has some issues with showing some as appearing and disappearing quickly … but its hard to see which ones as the RoPieeeXL prefix in the list takes up most of the available list window. Can this be shortened perhaps to RPXL or maybe just show the IP address last byte