RoPieeeXL is here!

Hi @spockfish, one of my RoPieee Pi’s is stuck in update limbo. Everything is operational (just using as a display), and showing as being on version 337, but no 337 ‘stuff’ is there. Feedback 0a19ca8edfea22cc

This report is more to alert you to a possible bug than anything. The Pi is working fine and disassembling the display and case to get at the SD card to re flash is a PITA :slight_smile:

Thank you for your incredible work and effort.

WJ

I misunderstood the release of ALAC as an open codec to include AirPlay. My bad. I can understand that they want stuff tested and to just work. But even AirPlay with genuine Apple iThings can be annoying. I’m talking about you HomePod, Apple Music, and Siri.

My sympathies and thanks to the hard protocol detectives who WireSharked out AirPlay.

Is there a Google 20%er out there who can build GoogleCast endpoint for Raspbian? I’ll miss my ChromeCast audio when it finally croaks.

I had my RoPieeeXL stuck in some old version and wouldn’t update a few weeks back. I had to switch the Update Channel to something else from what it was on the Advanced tab and restart, then back. That made it update.

I always have trouble logging into devices. I can see that my IP is 192.168.1.111 through fing, my routers client page and Roon.
But it just won’t connect, even after power cycling. I’ve renamed the devices because I have multiple. This one in particular is call RooniFiNanoBL.

https://imgur.com/a/pxnafdL

I can’t login via http://RooniFiNanoBL.local either. Every time I want to change settings I have to pull the SD card and re-install and reconfigure.
Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks man, that worked after a few more reboots and a WiFi reconfigure.

i also placed a hotfix online for your unit :shushing_face:

Thank you @spockfish, Pi is reporting v.338 now and all is working perfectly.

I’m not a Googler and haven’t put any serious effort in, but even my cursory glance through documentation including thoughts like “what if we jumped through some hoops to register an app or device as developers” didn’t look like they’d get me anywhere despite the major components being so close to open source (effectively Chromium/Chrome). I’m right there with you in wishing I (or guests) could Chromecast through the same chain of hardware as I’ve carefully selected for my Roon listening!

I saw a rumor that the next version of the Google Home Mini will also be a Chromecast Audio replacement.

I’m having an odd problem since I upgraded to XL. I’m getting distortion, it sounds like the kind of distortion you get when the alsa volume is set to over 100 percent.

I don’t get distortion if I play the same tune on Airplay.

That’s an odd set of circumstances. Is there anything in XL that might cause that? I’ve not yet tried downgrading to normal to see if the issue goes away, but I will do that tomorrow.

Cheers
Jamie

Are we talking about Roon?

Yes - I’m getting distortion using XL as an endpoint and not getting it when I use Airplay.

I’m just downgrading to normal Ropieee (which I had before and worked fine) to see if it fixes it.

Nope - downgrading doesn’t fix.

Is there anywhere I can download an older version to see if downgrading versions helps?

Interesting - I’m using my devices on Fixed Volume because I’m feeding into a preamp. If I change to device volume and drop the device volume to 95, the distortion goes away.

This is the same on two different Hats - a hifiberry dac pro and a PecanPi.

It’s almost as if the full fixed volume setting is too high although I don’t see why that would be.

1 Like

Fantastic stuff, very useful and a great development. Thanks for keeping this going :slight_smile:

Any idea about why I only get distorted noise using RopieeXL using a DLNA/upnp MinimServer with no matter which type of controlpoint?
Surely a format issue, but it’s pretty hard to dig that out since as long as one’s unsure about what RopieeXL would wait for one could stream in any format.
Hardware is Pi3 + Kali + Piano 2.1 DAC
And that works flawlessly with other Software such as DietPi, Volumio and similar while roon is ‘medium compatbiel’ whereas with RopieeXL I got totally lost.

The remaining positive aspects … it did install and the webfrontend works, which means it still has some gap to fullfill … playing audio for example from outside roon.

I use that exact same setup.

Have you tried to do DLNA right after a reboot? Without first using something else like Roon or Airplay?

And you don’t have the distortion when playing over Roon on the same endpoint?

Yep tried both. Pi rebooted no difference. I think it might have to do with some settings I applied to MinimServer such as stream.transcode flac:wav24 perhaps … but unsure.
As said, even without ever touching roon I simply get nothing but strange noise, no matter if picking 16/44.1 up to 24/192
And I pretty much liked the idea using RopieeXL in preference of having roon + volumio installed on the pi, since the drawback there is that you can’t reach the Ropiee www frontend due to volumio stepping in. The transcoding is a rest of making the kali +piano more volumio compatible. I think I get rid of that now and see if that makes any differnce.

Edit: removed the transcoding from the MinimServer which in return brings back the same problems I suffered with Volumio. 16/44.1 play ok while everything above this fails. Strange thing.

do you have by any chance a USB Ddac to test wuth?

Fiddled a bit more with transcoding settings on Minimserver, and I would say that chances are next to 99% that te problem isn’t a RopieeXL one.
I could easily make it work by only passing 16/44 to the XL from the Server. Which is quite ok for me personally since Spotify won’t deliver more as do my local machines / mobiles whatsoever. HiRes sits on the NAS and gets showeled to the Pi using roon anyway.

I could try with my old iBasso 50 DAP which could be turned into a mode so that it acts as a USB DAC. Used that in the past with my computer a couple of times. But I’m too lazy.

Perhaps you could think about adding some info onto the RopieeXL www frontend about the currently received stream? This would be of great help since getting an idea what happens would allow to track down the issue more easily.

thanks for your time picking up my issue anyway