RoPieeeXL is here!

I have the Pi3 + kali + piano 2.1 HAT with installed the latest RopieeeXL (366). I notice that my right channel does not work. I experienced this with an earlier version as well. Whenever I select the regular Allo Piano (not the 2.1 version) from the RoPieeeXL UI I do get sound at both channels. But I wonder if I make use of the full potential of the 2.1 dac now.

The piano 2.1 dac comes with 4 channels, 2 channels for normal audio (L/R), and 2 for the subwoofer (L/R). I don’t have my subwoofer directly connected to the piano 2.1 but instead to the amplifier that I use between the dac and the speaker setup, so I use only 2 channels of the dac. I doesn’t matter what R channel (regular/subwoofer) I connect to, both will not produce any sound.

I used Volumio before and could choose for dual mono by configuration in the UI and connect L to regular L and R to subwoofer R channels. This was pretty neat. I guess driver config by the OS/firmware (Volumio/RoPieeeXL) can do a lot.

Could it be that the Piano 2.1 is somehow incorrectly configured in the baked RopieeeXL firnware?

For the rest, great work with the RoPieee(XL) project, I really enjoy it.

Using RopieeeXL on a nummer of PI’s now. The ability to use Spotify on the same device as Roon actually increases the use of Roon by wife & kids :grinning:

Two observations though:

1. while Spotify connects to RopieeXL and indicates it is playing, there isn’t always a signal coming from the PI. Same is true for Airplay. A reboot normally solves the issue. Does Roon keep the audio device locked?
  2. the standard volume of 100% in LibreSpot is too high for usage with a HifiBerry AMP2 (we use one in the kitchen): you really don’t want to start with the AMP2 at this level. I have manually changed it in the confit file, but maybe this can be exposed in the web GUI?

Thanks for all the good work!

1 Like

hi @Sander_Jongeleen,

1. yes it does. afaik it releases it after a certain amount of time.
  2. makes sense. I’ll add it to the list.

Thanks

Out of curiosity: to what did you change the initial volume?

I’ve set it to 25%: having to increase the volume is better than starting at 100%!

I have a similar issue with IQAudIO digiamp hatted units…having to set volume in roon to stay under about 25-30%

It seems that UPnP does not control masteer Alsa volume either like Spotify. Using BubbleUPnP earlier and it was 100% but still at my Roons last listening level on my Dragonfly Red Is this normal @spockfish , I could only raise the volume further by using Roon

I’m not sure if it’s normal, but this is indeed the behaviour :wink:

On a serious note: this is the consequence if Roon has accessed the mixer (if you have a setup with no volume control what so ever this is not the case).

I’m not sure if we can prevent this. It means we should be able to ‘reset’ the volume when we’re start playing with a different technology.

Ok just when I used dietpi before switching to XL I had Roon Bridge, MPD plus it’s UPnP add on upmpdcli and Raspotify. Both Roon and upmpdcli both could control the master hardware Alsa volume so volume in Roon matched volume in upmpdcli and you still had full range to play with only Raspotify could not as it’s only software volume and not hardware. Be great to try and get this as I need to turn up.volume on some material a I don’t like volume levelling and if using upnp it’s a little clunky having to use Roon to do this.

hmmm… i need to investigate this. could be that the are using PulseAudio or something like that.

@spockfish Does the latest stable (or beta) version of RopieeeXL support the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA ? The website references “Matrix Audio X-Sabre” only, and it seems I’m having issues getting my MQA version recognised via USB. Thanks!

Supported hardware is based on user experience or my own.
So you’re the first with this one :wink:

Anyways, what do you exactly mean with ‘issues with getting recognized’?
It doesn’t play audio?

Right, I see :slight_smile: I get the below, when connected via USB to the DAC.

[root@music ~]# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:272: no soundcards found…

Ah. yeah. Then ‘issues’ is an understatement :wink:

Can you reboot with the DAC not plugged in, wait a few secs after reboot, plugin the DAC (powered on), wait again a minute or so, and then send me feedback (from the advanced tab in the webpage) so I can have a look.

Regards

Done. eef2b931d82464cf
If it’s any consolation, the website states “The new generation XMOS XU216 USB asynchronous transfer interface”

Thanks!

There’s literally nothing. So no mention of any device being plugged in.

Stupid question… but it was/is powered on right? Have you tried one of the other ports on the Pi?

So weird, after (hard) power cycling the DAC twice, it eventually showed up now. Apologies for the false alarm. Perhaps, the driver implementation (or their implementation) is slightly flakey. Appreciate your help!

No problem!

Does it do native DSD? If not, can you send me feedback anyhow? I can then implement native DSD support for this device.

Seems to! Playing a DSD 256 11.2896Mbit/s file natively now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’ll add it to the list.

Enjoy!