Router: Any Advantage of a better power supply?

In some German forums, there is a lot of discussions about SQ of different routers.

Some claim that the Fritz!box 7590 sounds better than the Fritz!box 7490 (around 200 EURO for a Fritz!box 7590).

But that’s not the interesting thing.

There is also a lot of statement like this:

“The 7590 sounds a lot better than the 7490. You can hear that even without using a special power supply, but if you then hang a SBOOSTER in front of it, for example, then the difference can be heard more than clearly, so you don’t have to compare for a long time.”

Many users – I mean many – claims that a power supply like the iPower Elite by iFi brings SQ improvement (around 290 EURO) when used with their router.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a better power supply connected to their router?

Have a nice day :blush:

Torben

@Torben_Rick A router is also a networking device, just like switches etc.

You are opening a can of worms and EVERYTHING that will be posted i the thread is; subjective, polarized, religion and everything that has been posted in other related threads.

Any advice will be useless, until you experiment yourself and find the effort beneficial (or not).
Whatever parameters you use to quantify “benificial” is up to you.

Anyway, i am on my way to buy popcorn and something to drink.
Buckle up, enjoy the ride.

9 Likes

Torben, I admire your relentless enthusiasm…

4 Likes

I think adding in power supplies does make a marked improvement and so thought what else could be improved in a similar fashion.
Although there are no commercially available replacement toroidal power supplies I have had some designed for me.
My shirts are definitely whiter now and my cheese has a piquancy that was missing before.
The greatest revelation has definitely been the ice cubes that now have a much more definite snap and crackle as they hit the sixth whisky of the night.

6 Likes

Good to know :slight_smile: I prefer gin - but I think it would give the same effect with gin. Will try it this WE :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make sure the tonic or other mixer, if you use any, has also been chilled in a converted fridge or the effect is dulled.

1 Like

If you have sufficient funding may I suggest that you think about purchasing or renting a currently unoccupied island, there are many for sale or rent around the globe.

Once installed construct a power plant, nuclear, wind turbine, solar generator, etc and then use this to charge a series of batteries each one used as a source to charge the next using the most cost effective regulated supply and use this as a basis for your testing rig.

This should give you a baseline for clean power that you can then use to test any and all SQ improvers.

One last point would be to ensure that you have built an accurate enough listening room that has been acoustically treated to gain the best results; oh, and make sure that you are properly hydrated at all times.

Alternatively, listen to the music, smile and tap your feet.

3 Likes

The problem is that many of them don’t have a nice beach - only rocks :frowning: But I will keep looking :slight_smile: Will drop you a postcard from my new audio island :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or buy equipment with battery supplies already built in 100k euros second hand

2 Likes

The best and easiest thing to do to increase SQ, is only listen to music at night, and preferably in the winter. The sun creates huge amounts of noise, and ground noise is reduced as temperatures drop.

4 Likes

A straight answer. There is normally no advantage to using a linear supply on a router. The reason being that connecting direct to that router is probably not best practice. I would use the router completely standard with a feed to a switch of your choice powered in whatever fashion you decide. Hang all your HiFi related IP gear off that switch. That is the way I would approach the question you are asking. And it would bring 90% of any perceived gain. You should only chase that last 10% if you are both rich and very bored! :wink:

2 Likes

Through LAN the router is connected to a switch:

I replaced the switching power supply with a linear power supply on the switch that connects to my streamer. Audible difference. Not as glassy sounding, more focused, plus some other more subtle improvements.

I would love to know how better SQ can be achieved by tweaking a router, generally and in you specific setup.
You already have, the much debated, “galvanic” separation using fiber.
Why or how would a “better” power supply in your router influence the SQ of equipment behind the fiber link?

My view on the claims:

“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens

Proof can also be a plausible explanation but doubt someone can give that.

3 Likes

Here is my view. The world is full of people who want to be given proof. Very few actually go and look for that proof themselves. It is that few that drive progress in this world.

4 Likes

Whatever happened to the excellence of German engineering? This is sheer nitwittery.

3 Likes

Did you also know that White Chocolate has no calories and even better if eaten in conjunction with other highly calorific foods will actually negate those calories all together

The miracles of modern science eh ! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :rofl:

Maybe the LPS for the router is a job half done. Some seem convinced this might help the bits to rush cleaner. Add Furutech Nano Liquid Contact Enhancer. $189.99 for the unit.

THX :slight_smile: Just placed an order for 10 Liter :slight_smile:

3 Likes