Router in different room - advice please

I have no idea where the phone line ends. I am not in the property yet.
I have a phone line, which goes live nest week when I move in , but I dont use a home phone anymore.

I think I know what you are getting at but maybe the simplest option for me is the switch and ethernet cable.

I take it the switch will have multiple ports

Not disagreeing with that solution.

Iā€™m suggesting you use the present phone line to help you fish the Ethernet cable thru the walls.

Maybe you should just hire an electrician. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I think this is probably the best option :grinning: :grinning:

It is a new housing estate so their will be electricians on site I would imagine

Have a good life in your new house.

2 Likes

This is what I am looking at initially

Yeah cheers, one of the reasons I am moving is to be able to listen to my music louder as I live in an apartment block at present .
I was genuinely gutted today when I seen where my BT socket was ,ā€¦but now I know there is a fix, hey its just a few extra quid. :grinning:

Thanks for your input

Looking good
Dirk

I donā€™t know what a BT socket is, but Iā€™m sure it could be relocated if desired.

1 Like

You will need the switch, but you may not need an ethernet cable run through the house (although if you can that will be best).

You may get away with something like a pair of google mesh routers. I have my core connected by cable to a google puck which is wirelessly connected to the main router/internet. This solved my wifi issues when streaming to 3 or 4 wifi end points simultaneously.

Iā€™m going to suggest mesh extender as well. Even though the extender is wireless, it has 2 Ethernet ports and have never had an issue hooking streamer or core this way.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies guys .
A lot of different opinions on here and to be honest some of them conflicting so I am unsure of how to proceed.
I think after reading all of the replies I may be lucky enough that I may be able to plug my BT router into the socket in the living room and it may work as it does now in my existing place.

I will try and ask the builder if they have other clients who have put their router in the living room, as there must be a lot of people in my position.
I now know I need to seek help and not try and sort this myself.

One thing I do know is that when I had my core set up wirelessly it was never very stable. Dropouts , Roon Remote losing connection a lot .

Thanks for all of the replies

1 Like

Do you have a TV (coax) socket in the hallway? If so, MoCA is a great alternative. Hereā€™s a good article on it vs powerline adapters (another possibility for you): https://www.pcworld.com/article/2950015/powerline-vs-moca-which-alternative-networking-technology-is-the-best.html

No I dont have TV coax socket in the hallway. The TV socket is in my living room.

What do mean by TV socket ? Is that not digital or fed from a dish ? Or is it a good old fashioned aerial socket.

A long lash up cable and a cheap switch will prove concept then work towards formalizing

Did the builders not offer extra conduits ?

Hi Mike. I am not actually in the property yet , but that looks like what I have. There is also a phone point too.
Yes I have decided to ring the builder today to see if they can help me with this, as I am sure a lot of other people who live there will need their equipment hard wired.
I am sort of hoping the sales girl who showed me around yesterday did not understand my question ā€¦as most people have there HUbs in the living room.

I have a ā€œremoteā€ router with my Roon core computer directly connected to it and my music files on a external HDD directly connected to the Roon computer.

My devialet is in another room and it works OK with either wifi or powerline Ethernet. I, very occasionally, have dropouts either due to a power surge when using powerline Ethernet or interference using wifi. However, since the latest devialet software upgrade this dropouts are now very rare - indeed it must be weeks since the last dropout. You will have to update your devialet configuration to enter the wifi details and Ethernet connectivity. By the way, I only use the powerline Ethernet due to problems early on with using wifi with devialet - these problems appear to have been resolved and with Roon RAAT you do not have to compromise on sound quality which was the case wifi and devialet air.

These options are cost free (wifi) or very cheap (powerline Ethernet), you might want to see if these work in your situation before doing something more expensive.

1 Like

I too had a lot of problems with Devialet and dropouts etc early on . This is why I decided on a Nucleus.
I do not even upgrade the firmware on the Devialet just incase it messes things up :smiley:
I could try the Devialet wireless but I still need the Nucleus hard wired to my router so I still have the same issue.

Not sure what you mean by a remote router?

Ok so been doing a lot of thinking :smiley:
I did say I was a novice :grinning:

I could have my Nucleus in my hallway hardwired to my router . The Devialet will be in the living room, but I can use the Wifi to stream from the Nucleus to the Devialet amp?

At present the Nucleus is connected to the Devialet with USB cable but it does not have to be.

Or am I missing something very obvious here?

I still think that it is best to have an Ethernet cable installed from your hallway to your listening room, to be able to set up a solid network now and in the future, should you ever need it. This now, before moving in, is easily accomplished and no big deal. Once youā€™re set up in your new home this could be much more of a hassle.

If your Devialet amp is Roon Ready, you could probably stream to it with WiFi, but this may work well or not. Once you find out it doesnā€™t work so well it could be much more of an annoyance to install a cable. Or then you would be compelled to use other means like Ethernet over power adapters. Again, those might work out well enough, or might not.

What will give you peace of mind is having a cable installed.

1 Like

Yes I totally see your point here , but its messy and I wont have time to get this done before I move in.

My Devialet is not Roon ready as I did not upgrade to the Pro

Also if i have a Nucleus why would I want to use the Devialet to stream . Sorry if basic questions but I have limited knowledge in this area.
I think my post above may work and initially I may try this when I move in.
Thanks for your input though as I agree your solution makes senseā€¦if it wasnt for the fact that I am keen to avoid wires running from room to room