Router in different room - advice please

First of all, iPad is always loosing connection with Roon core, after it has gone to sleep. But it should reconnect in 2-3 seconds once you try to do something in Roon remote.

For the slowness, I have this returning problem as well, after each ‘major’ IOS (iPasOS) update.
For one reason or another my iPad is slow on the internet to a vast number of sites (most but not all) in the US. Some sites in EU always work fine.

To solve this, I put DNS server on my iPad for my WIFI connection on MANUAL and put it Cloudfare DNS 1.1.1.1 .
All speed problems solved.
But as said, I have to repeat that after main IOS updates as DNS config is set back to Automatic.

Dirk

1 Like

My problems continue I am afraid . This is frustrating
I have attached 2 photos , first I want to name my unidentified devices . I know what they are, just don’t know which one is which.

The main reason for posting is my continuing iPad issue . Roon is a bit of a nightmare since using the extenders . Album art at times is so slow. I have included the other screenshot as it shows a good connection …but it’s not
So will changing my DNS settings solve this ?
I am not up on technology like this so how easy is it?
Are there any risks to this ? Is it still secure ?
I have to do something , wanted to play an album before I went out this morning and ended up having to come on here

I think it’s the extenders causing the issue , but I am guessing . If changing the DNS settings does not work then yes I may have to look into moving the BT fibre point into my living room,

Again appreciate any input

In order trying to help you, more detailed information is needed.

If I understand you right, you have installed 3 Wifi extenders? What brand and type are these?
Is is correct to assume that these extenders are connected via Wifi and not using ethernet (cable)?

And why did you install 3 extenders, could you provide a handmade drawing including distances of the postion of your complete wifi infrastructure.

The reason for my questions is a follows:
If you try to extend your wifi via your wifi interface (and if you are not using a mesh wifi network - such as e.g. Netgear Orbi), than you are using half of your wifi bandwidth for the connection with your extension. This has nothing to do with actual signal strength on itself but available throughput .

So, with a (traditional) wifi extender you will enhance your reach (distance), but you will decrease your available bandwidth.
And I believe this is what you are confronted with.

In fact, if you download on your ipad a Speedtest app, you can run that at different spots in your home.
You can do this with the extenders active and repeat it with extenders powered off.
That should already provide good insights of what is happening

Dirk

Hi again, I really appreciate your help on this. I am getting really frustrated now I admit. In my spare time I want to listen to music not have to seek help on this forum :grinning:

I dont really want to unplug the extenders to do the speed test as they took some degree of effort to match and set up.

I dont think its a speed issue as I am receiving over 60MB in every room

I have bought 2 BT600 wifi extenders. One is on my hallway connected by ethernet to the BT router.
The other is plugged into a wall socket in my living room.and I assume this is the WIFI one?
The hallway leads into the living room so the extenders are about 6m apart so no distance at all.

I have always had some issues with the Roon remote on the Ipad., Slow on occasions with album art and searching, but i think this has got much worse since I started using the extenders. To the point where it is no use at times…skipping to the next track takes between 3 and 5 seconds on occasions

I ran a wifi test last week and the results were pretty good, the only average result occured when i come upstairs bit its good enough for what I need.

If as you say I am using half the bandwidth for the extender then this could well be the issue.

Just to add the reason I have gone to these lengths is I need a wired connection from my Nucleus to my Devialet amplifier as for me USB gives me the best sound.

The wifi extender connencted via wifi definitely is taling bznfwidth away.
The one connected viz ethernet does not!
Can’t you disablr for a test the wigi connected one? And if they are so close to each other, I really do see any benefit
Dirk

Hi I really dont want to disable the extenders as it literally took me over an hour to match them up

I have to have them as I have to have my Nucleus in my main room and hardwired

Is this something I am just going to have to put up with? If it is then yes I will have to look at the other option and get an electrician to get my Hub into the living room…but hey just moved house, and a lot of expenses . Self employed in this lockdown so Dont want to have to shell out a lot of cash.

Tagging @support in this now as I need some assistance

Just to add how sporadic this is. I have now come upstairs as an experiment …so this is a lot further away from my Nucleus and the Router and there are no issues.
Maybe this has nothing to do with my Wifi …but just an issue when using roon/tidal.

This is one example of the issues I a, having . It’s 20 seconds into the track and still not loaded the album cover

Sorry I’m late to the party. There are only a handful of residential internet technologies. DSL, Cable, FTTH/P, WISP are a few. Most of these can be moved around to different jacks in the house and don’t need to live where the tech left them. However, I don’t see this question was asked so we can help you do that.

What Internet service, exactly, do you have? What “router” or box did BT drop off at your home?

Once I know this we can move on to identify how your home is wired and we can, probably, simply move the box into the living room. Or, we can identify how to extend the ethernet into that room.

1 Like

Hi , well i am pleased to see you enter the party as not sure support have picked up the message.
I have fibre broadband.
I know its fibre broadband,as my house is a new build the fibre connection is in my actual house so it could not connect to my old router . So I assume this is FTTP They sent me the new router a BT Smart Hub 2

As you can see above I am trying to use Extenders and I think this is what is causing the issue with the IPad acting as the Roon remote. I guess I cant be sure of this but the problems seem to have got worse since using them.
I was hoping this would negate the need to move my ethernet extension into the living room, but I may have to rethink now.

I dont need my hub in the living room but it looks like I may need to add a switch at least so this would mean I have to get ethernet into that room.
I welcome any guidance

Just to add that I have contacted the Electrician who works for the builder i bought the house off , with the aim of seeing if it possible to get the extension into my living room to enable me to use a network switch.

One quick question if i get a faster broadband speed I am assuming this would not make a great deal of difference?

I know the network switch may not stop the wifi issues but it will be a more stable long term solution

Again, late to the party and apologies for jumping in. It does seem like ethernet cable extension will be by far the best solution. Powerline adapters and wifi extenders are notoriously unreliable (I have to reboot my 2 powerline adapters every day or I get the kids shouting "Dad - the wifi’s down again!).

Earlier in the thread I think you were given a bit of useful advice that would let you try things out before engaging an electrician. You could buy this network switch and a suitable length of ethernet cable. For around £30-35 you’ll have all you need to run all of your lounge devices, including your Nucleus, via a solid ethernet connection - no powerline adapters, no wifi extenders.

If this works (which it should) it will be a temporary solution. You can then engage an electrician to make a tidy job of installing a cable and the switch for permanent usage.

There is no reliable and consistent substitute for direct wiring from router to switch. I know this from frustrating experience!.

EDIT: make sure you get an electrician who knows what they’re doing with ethernet cables. It’s really an AV task, but a fairly basic one, so you should be alright.

1 Like

Thanks for the post , yes I have decided to get it done correctly I think
I get what you mean about try the above temporary solution, but I see no gains to be made from this now .

I am not sure I will know if he knows what he is doing with Ethernet cables as I haven’t got a bloody clue :grinning:
He is the electrician who is on site at the development so I assume he will have had a few similar requests

Thanks for the post , appreciate it

1 Like

It shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve had anecdotal evidence of ethernet cables being damaged in installation by being bent at too sharp an angle. This is going back some time. Things have moved on, cables have moved on (flat is great), electricians have moved on.

Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Using wired ethernet connections is the best alternative for streaming audio or video. If that is possible and if it can be done cost effectively that is the fastest and easiest way to end the pain of dealing with WIFI issues that stop you from enjoying music.

If running cables is not feasible for technical or cost reasons, you should consider a mesh WIFI network. Depending upon the brand and equipment, you can get mesh satellites that have ethernet ports that can be used for plugging in devices that require ethernet or don’t come with WIFI, like Roon Core servers. Mesh networks are designed to work in situations like yours.

I live in a split level home where it is not possible to run ethernet to the locations where I could use wired connections. I experienced the same kind of issues that you are experiencing until I installed a Netgear Orbi network. Since I installed the Orbi system, my home WIFI system has been stable and it works well for both video and audio streaming.

Am I correct in thinking that you still get the same 50% efficiency loss on speed with Mesh that you do with Wifi extenders? This sounds like it would still be a problem for OP. However it does sound like the extra stability that Mesh provides is an important point.

Thanks for your message , I appreciate it.
I think I will look at this route if the cable extension is too difficult or costly , but to me it seems another compromise , so I am hoping the more permanent solution is viable

In a real mesh network, the router and sattelites make use of a 3rd channel , for connexion between themselves.
This keeps the 2,4Ghz and 1 5Ghz band completely free and available for endpoints communication

I am going to install one myself, but need to take a decision which brand to choose:
Netgear Orbi (expensive) , Asus Zen Wifi (overall good magazine reviews, but customer complaints having to reboot the router every week or more), TP Link (the cheapest).
I am in Europe, and I do not want Amazon or Google.
Will post a message if and when purchase and installation is done.
Dirk

2 Likes

With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had taken the advice to go for a permanent solution earlier .

However moving house is stressful and I think I was keen to find a quick fix as I have a number of other issues at present . I run my own business from home albeit a small one and I had to prioritise this . But yes my music listening is my wind down time and it’s doing the opposite on occasions now :grinning:

I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions on here

Still, it is absoluetely unclear to me now if you have problems playing music ( clicks, interrupts, …) or is it only pronlems with Roon Remote on your iPad.
Dirk