RPi vs Windows laptop for wifi+USB endpoint?

I ordered a Meridian Explorer2 so I can sample some of this MQA goodness. I’m looking to create a wifi endpoint with the Meridian DAC using either:

• an RPi 3 (headless) OR
  • an old Alienware M11x-R3 laptop (with the lid closed).

Does anyone have a recommendation for which would work better?

I have read that the wifi is bad on the RPi 3, but I have been using it with my Dragonfly Red (with dietpi), and it works fairly well for non-MQA tracks. I have also read that it is not good to run USB DACs on RPi because the USB and Ethernet use the same data channel. Perhaps two wrongs (using wifi for the network and USB for the DAC) make a right?

Theoretically, the Alienware’s wifi and USB hardware should be better than the RPi 3, but it also has fans running and all other manner of heat and electrical noise that the RPi doesn’t have. Is this a worthwhile tradeoff?

Anyone have any experience, projections, or opinions to share on this?

To be honest I think it’s just a matter of trial and error.
Yeah the RPi has some limitations, but still we’ve got guys over here that are doing DSD512 with it.

Although indeed wifi isn’t particulary good on the Pi, combining it with an USB DAC should be no problem.

Having a Pi instead of a laptop with fans is also a little bit more practical I guess :wink: