Running Roon & internet radio on a Squeezebox Touch?

Is it possible/ could it be possible to run Roon and Internet Radio (Tunein Radio) via a Squeezebox touch. I love the bit perfect Squeezebox integration and it looks like i have left LMS forever. However, i do miss my international radio stations it provided access to via Tunein Radio.

It would be ideal to be able to toggle back and forth since the Touch still has the capability to pull in these stations - even if it would be manual manipulation of the Touch screen.

It can be done manually by toggling the music source using the Remote Libraries menu option on the Touch. From personal experience, toggling back and forth is a bit flaky. I usually have to select the source I want two or three times in order to get the setting to ‘stick’, especially going back from Roon -> LMS.

Ahhh, ok . Let me make sure Remote Libraries is a viewed option on the Touch menu. Once you toggle, what “Library” are you going to or are you toggling to MySqueezebox? Does LMS need to be running?

I have LMS running in parallel, I haven’t tried toggling between mysqueezebox.com and Roon.

I think the Touch menu item is “Switch Libraries”, then I see my two music sources, LMS and my Roon VM.

Other than the set up prescribed by Roon, did you do anything else that caused the Touch to see Roon as a “Library?” As is, Roon just works, but i see no Roon logo or any other indication of a connection. That is fine with me if i run only Roon. If i run LMS in parallel, then hopefully Roon will show as a library. Lastly, do you note any performance issues running in parallel?

Thanks!

On the Touch I don’t see any other visual indication - in fact it passes artwork and Now Playing details to the device just like LMS. (On my Transporter I just get a Roon logo since the Now Playing details can’t be sent to the older players.)

I have not seen any performance issues at all.

1 Like

@anon55914447. Any trick to getting LMS and Roon to run at the same time? With Roon on, LMS doesn’t start. With LMS on, Roon doesn’t see the Squeezebox endpoints (Touch).

Hmmm.

The two servers will coexist happily. The trick is getting your squeezeboxes to flip reliably between the two.

1 Like

Dear Mark,

Something is not right - i cannot get LMS and Roon to co-exist on a Touch.

If Roon is running, LMS will not start up and there is no recognition by the Touch of an LMS library
If LMS is running, i can’t get it to recognize the Touch and the Touch does not need a Roon Library.

Is there a sequence that works for you? Are there setting with regards to libraries that need to be set? Does the name of the LMS library need to be same or different from the name of the Roon library.

You can see i am grasping here… i appreciate if you could give some guidance.

Thanks,
Hans

I may not have been clear in my description. The two servers (Roon and LMS) can both be on at the same time.

The Touch can only be set to ‘see’ one server or the other at a time.

For example if you start with the Touch attached to LMS, on the Touch go My Music > Switch Library

Here I have the choice of hostname of my LMS installation and the hostname of my Roon installation. Select your Roon install. <— This is where it gets a bit flaky. It may take several tries selecting it before it swaps. I don’t know why, but it eventually works.

To go back to LMS from Roon, same again go My Music > Switch Library.

Also, sometimes the Touch says it hasn’t connected, but it has. Check in your Roon remote to see if it shows as a device.

Hi Mark - You have been totally clear. I get the switching of library’s from the Touch. The thing is, i don’t have a 2nd library recognized on the Touch.

I think this is because on the PC, Roon does not recognize the Touch when LMS is on. When LMS is off, Roon will recognize the Touch, but then LMS will not start.

They seem to be in conflict with each other. I can seem to replicated your good luck to have them at lease co-exist.

hmmm,
Hans

Do you have them running on the same machine? I wonder if you have the same machine with the same hostname it may not be possible for the Touch to differentiate the different ‘libraries’.

Yes. I have one PC. It runs Roon and LMS. Perhaps that is the issue.

Does any one else have Roon running with LMS at the sametime on one machine?

As stated by the Roon folks this wouldn’t work. I have a LMS running on my NAS and Roon Core / server on a Windows computer: this works fine. I just use LMS for my Squeezebox Radio’s and Roon for the Touch.

By the way: Roon has internet Radio supported now.