SACD iso conversion

Sorry for my ignorance here - does this rip from the SACD disk, or do you have to start with an ISO that has been ripped already ?

From their web site:
Input Format: SACD Disk Image (ISO Format)
Supported Frequency: 44.1 / 48.0 / 88.2 / 96.0 / 176.4 / 192.0 / 352.8 / 384 KHz.
Supported Bitrate Quality: 16 / 24 / 32 bit
Output formats: DSF, DFF, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, TTA, ALAC, WAVPACK, APE

Thanks; that’s what I saw, so I assume you need a rip from somewhere else, but it is a bit ambiguous.

There are two of them. ISO2DSD and something else. Can’t remember the name. Perhaps ISO2DFF or DSF. I’m not on my mac atm. But I know there was another small one. Worked when I was on the Mac side.

You will need to rip the ISO first from the disc. Bear in mind that SACDs are a closed format, the only ripping methods are hacks based on hardware glitches (PS3 and specific BluRay/SACD player chipset hacks).

I don’t think this is going to change anytime soon.

Thank you for the clarification. It is as I always believed, but the above discussion re Trax seemed to suggest that it could be done on the computer. What a pity, but never mind.

Usage: D:\SACD\sacd_extract.exe [-2|–2ch-tracks] [-m|–mch-tracks] [-p|–output-dsdiff]
[-e|–output-dsdiff-em] [-s|–output-dsf] [-I|–output-iso]
[-c|–convert-dst] [-C|–export-cue] [-i|–input FILE] [-P|–print]
[-?|–help] [–usage]

D:\SACD\sacd_extract.exe --help
Usage: D:\SACD\sacd_extract.exe [options] [outfile]
-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)
-m, --mch-tracks : Export multi-channel tracks
-e, --output-dsdiff-em : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
-p, --output-dsdiff : output as Philips DSDIFF file
-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file
-t, --select-track : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
-I, --output-iso : output as RAW ISO
-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD
-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet
-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if “iso” image,
device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
-P, --print : display disc and track information

Help options:
-?, --help : Show this help message
–usage : Display brief usage message

My Pioneer BDP80 was $200 brand new on EBay a couple of months ago and I used it to rip all 104 of my SACD’s to DSD. It’s easy, here’s how…

3 Likes

Years ago I met a guy in a German internet forum who lived in the same town and offered his help with ripping SACDs. I spent some time at his and we had lots of fun listening to music and talking about it while he ripped my SACDs. I can’t remember what he used for it, as I haven’t actually seen his gear. He always left the living room for changing the SACD. And I can’t recall the conversation about the technical stuff, but I wouldn’t have understood most of it anyway. He was very much in technique and hi-fi as his place was full of disassambled amplifiers, speakers and all kinds of players. He loved his Backes & Müller active speakers and could talk about them for hours, including listening tests of direct cut vinyls. I left the SACD road a while ago and never thought about it again until now when I change my music listening software set-up. And I totally forgot about all this copyright protection stuff that comes up with it.

John,
What model Oppo do you use to convert SACD files ?
Can you please describe the process that you use ?
I have hundreds of SACD’s that I would love to convert to Roon capable files.
Thank you,
George

See the link that is two posts, above your’s.

OPPO BDP-105EU works fine

George the OPPO model I use is the BDP-103. As for the process, I followed the instructions I found on the web site The Computer Audiophile. I created a USB stick as per the instructions and used the Sonore program ISO2DSD for ripping. All of the links and instructions are in several of the threads above this post. I followed these instructions and have ripped hundreds of CDs myself. Works quite well.

John,
Thank you so much.
I think now my biggest challenge will be obtaining an Oppo after looking at sales listings.
George

Brent, Dirk,
Thanks !

I get that. I will probably never sell mine just because it is supported for ripping SACDs. I did six more this morning. I know that only certain models are supported. I wonder if the newer models are supported but that the documentation was never updated to reflect this? Good luck.

Same for me …

You could also consider other players: I have used the Pioneer BDP 160, which I bought used for around 150 to 160 $. After a quick check this seems less then half the costs of the model you proposed.

1 Like

The right players are getting harder and harder to find. I bought an old PS3 and a 160 just to make sure I had redundancy in case one went wrong. The BluRay players tend to be cheaper though, if you can find one.

Works great George and pretty easy to boot.

As others, my 103D will stay with me just for ripping SACDs