SACD ISO extraction

I have following albums (DSD) as ISO files. When extracting them, how can I find out whether those files were compatible to be extracted to DSD256?

Those are the following iso files

• Dire Straits / On every street - MoFi release
  • Fleetwod Mac / Rumours
  • Pink Floyd / Animals 2018 remix

I am using Linn Klimax DSM Organik, so no issues expected with the DAC support.

Thanks in advance

In my opinion it doesn’t make any sense to extract dsf file to a different sample rate than the original one that is DSD64.
If you like to upsample them then use HQPlayer but just resample to a different sample rate will only fill the file with binary zeroes

Thank you, Stefano. I am not very well versed in this area. Thanks for making it clear to me. Highly appreciated. :hugs:

Thanks!

Don’t understand your question really?
Like Stefano SACD uses only DSD64 (and PCM) and so you get out from the ISO only “DSD64 files”
But it can makes sense (that’s one cause why HQPlayer exists) convert them online or offline to DSD256/DSD512/…
Online converting can take a lot of CPU power and so offline converting (after extracting from the ISO) with HQPlayer is one way, but then you need a lot harddisk space.

1 Like

Hello, I have saved all of my SACD ISOs in the respective original format with iso2dsd as .dsf and are playing them. DSD64 = DSD64 etc. Upsampling DSD64 < DSD 256 made no difference for me. And I have lots of them. I also tried it with the Dire Straits (MoFi).

2 Likes

I think only HQPlayer PRO can upsample to file.

Directly yes, but you can try with HQPlayer → ASIO → Virtual Audio Cable → recording device write the resampled output to a file.

ISO is ISO. It should be a bit perfect copy of what’s on the SACD.

SACD is encoded in DSD64. So, the ISO file is in DSD64.

All DSD64 files could be upsampled to DSD128, 256, 512 or higher with HQPlayer or Foobar (or something similar).

If you want to extract DSD256 files from a SACD, you are basically doing DSD64 extraction from the SACD first and then upsample the files to DSD256 and then save it.

If you extract ISO from SACD, you don’t have to worry about DSD256 (yet) as the ISO, as I said, is in DSD64. You can do any upsampling you want later when you play the ISO files,

Having said that, I don’t think HQPlayer supports ISO files. You have to extract the DSF files for HQPlayer. In that case, you can select DSD64 files for extraction and do the real-time upsampling later in HQPlayer. (Of couse, you can create the upampled DSD256 files too so that you don’t have to do the real-time upsampling every time you play the files).

Foobar does support ISO files.

Upsampling a DSD64 to DSD256 do improve the D-to-A process in DAC in terms of reducing artifacts when it regnerates the music.

You could try it with HQPlayer. To me, it has audible difference.