Samsung EVO SSD 860/870 Drive Compatibility?

This information popped up in my Twitter feed. Is it relevant to ROCK/Nucleus or Linux self builds when using Roon with Samsung 860/870 drives for storage? The question I guess is does Roon use the ‘queued TRIM’ function?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Samsung-860-870-More-Quirks

Rest easy, trim is not used.

2 Likes

Danny’s post may not be conclusive as it refers to external SSDs and the internal NVMe SSD but makes no mention of Roon OS’ TRIM behavior for internal SATA SSDs. That said, I’m not sure why Roon would treat them differently.

I’m not sure that it’s that consequential anyway since the internal music drive is rarely written to except when adding new music. The phoronix article mentions “issues” multiple times but does not elaborate. I would not worry about this unless you have a more specific concern.

1 Like

I’ve build in a:
Samsung SSD 870 1T

in my Roon Nucleus without any problem. Works fluently !

1 Like

I am just building a new setup with a QNAP HS-453DX and wondered if it’s better to have Roon server installed on a standard SSD drive (870 EVO) or on the internal M.2 SSD (860 EVO)?

M.2 NVMe SSD is almost always better (higher speed, lower latency due to more direct connection the PCIe bus) than SATA, but I will be surprised if that’s possible. I’m not familiar with that NAS model, but most NAS systems only allow the M.2 storage to be used for cache, not storage volumes.

One thing that still keeps me (and a few others guessing) is that many report when using SSDs rather than HDDs the sound quality got better.
Is that because SSDs generate less „digital noise“ or related to other elements?

Difficult to say, but in my view, it’s better to remove the source of digital noise entirely rather than just accepting less of it. I do this by physically locating my music storage in a closet that’s two floors below my listening room. This leverages the inverse-square law to eliminate the effect of radiated RFI and EMI. Storage is also on a different electrical circuit and is galvanically isolated from the audio system.

With measures like these in place, the storage technology (HDD, SSD, or streaming) is irrelevant to sound quality.

That is definitely a great approach when possible to do.